Dakota Durango Forum banner

Coolant/overheating

9K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  DakRat33 
#1 ·
Oh no!

I was driving in to work this morning. Very cool 50 degrees, so I shouldn't have any problems keeping the truck cool. Well, not so this morning it seems. Sitting at a light almost to work, I started to see some smoke/steam coming from under the hood. Then I noticed my temp gauge start to climb. Once I started driving the temp dropped, but it still wasn't right.

I opened my hood & saw coolant coming from under the pressure cap, like it should. There was steam rising, but it was difficult to tell exactly where it was coming from. I could tell it was quite warm too because I heard the coolant boiling. I replaced the whole upper radiator hose assembly last month & put in new coolant. It was mildly overfull @ that point, but the coolant ran over the overflow bottle without causing any problems.

Any ideas as to what I might be able to do? I am unable to check it out today or tomorrow because have to work. Any help is appreciated. Oh BTW, I'm NOT taking it to the dealer cuz they are WAY too high for their diagnostic.

P.S. I drive a Dakota RT 5.9

#3 ·
I will check that out as well. Just frustrating you know.

#4 ·
Fixed it today.
It was the water pump. The bearing was bad. It went quickly. Which sucked.
But it was a relatively cheap fix, for me :)

#5 ·
Yes I had the system 'burped' when we replaced the water pump. Had plenty of fluid in radiator and overflow bottle.

NOW!!! I have another problem. Similar issue, but different, maybe.

I have been consistently smelling coolant once again. I came to a stop a couple days ago and noticed that there was steam once again coming from under the hood. Once I made it to my destination, I opened the hood & saw steam coming from the radiator cap. Also the hose now is white from the coolant & steam pouring out. Thinking it may be a defective cap, I replaced that. No change.
Truck is still overheating again. I added a gallon and a half of coolant into the radiator via the cap (which we all know is located on that top radiator hose). Next day, it did it again. I have since added another gallon. Also there is a bearing noise again. Not sure if it's the water pump (again) or a different pulley. Very difficult to tell.
The reservoir also has not dropped @ all! When I removed the radiator cap & put the coolant in, and ran the truck, it did bubble, etc like it's supposed to if the water pump & thermostat are working. When I rev the motor, the coolant level in the upper radiator hose drops, until I put it back into idle. Seems odd to me but I don't know.

SO...what is my new problem? Please help, this is getting very frustrating!!!

#6 ·
try the thermostat!

#8 ·
I pressure tested it before and right after replacing the water pump. It held pressure just fine. Do you think that the radiator is now bad? That sucks. I'll check my oil too. But seeing as I do my own, so I KNOW I tighten everything enough and there have been no leaks where I park, I doubt it's the oil.

I have one of those 'low-temp' t-stats in there (was there when I bought it). Guess it wouldn't hurt to check.

:huh:

#11 ·
God I hope not. Of course I forgot how to check that.

Did you replace the bypass hose when you replaced the WP? It's the small hose the connects between the WP and the intake.
No we didn't replace that hose. We were able to separate the WP from that hose w/out cracking the hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.