Dakota Durango Forum banner

Need to replace glass window on driver's side

12K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  rvfd42 
#1 ·
My window exploded today, but fortunately my window tint is holding it all together. It's freaking expensive to have this done by the pros so I want to try it myself, but I have some questions:

1) How do I get the glass out? Two summers ago I tried to do this in order to tint it, but I just couldn't figure it out. I remember someone saying there's a trick in getting it to come out, but I can't find that info.

2) My window is a manual window so is the glass different between the manual and electric ones?

3) It's a Dakota '02 club cab. Is the glass in all Gen 3 Dakotas compatible? What about Durangos, I know their doors are a little different so I need to ask.

4) Is there any sort of rubber seal that the window attaches to that I ought to replace while I'm doing this?

I'm sorry for not searching through the site, but my time is limited, I'm about to head out until 1:30am, and I need to head out tomorrow early in the day to get it.

See less See more
#2 ·
usually your insurance plan will cover glass repairs. I've never paid more than $50 out of pocket to get any glass fixed/replaced.

#3 ·
I said how to in the "What have you done to your truck today" thread. It's fairly simple once you figure it out. This was on power windows in a Club Cab
1) Take the door panel off (Obviously)
2) Take the plastic water seal completly off, be careful not to rip it
3) Put the window crank back on and crank the window down to where you can see where it bolts onto the regulator and unbolt it.
4) Take the front window channel out. You can take the rear out if youd like, it makes it easier.
5) with everything unbolted, turn the window so the smaller edge is pointing down(You know how the window slopes, you want the front smaller part to be on the bottom of the door)
6) Now lift the window out. The pieces that hold the window to the regulator should pull right off.

The instalation is reverse of removal. Hope this helps PM me if you have any questions

#5 ·
I said how to in the "What have you done to your truck today" thread. It's fairly simple once you figure it out. This was on power windows in a Club Cab
1) Take the door panel off (Obviously)
2) Take the plastic water seal completly off, be careful not to rip it
3) Put the window crank back on and crank the window down to where you can see where it bolts onto the regulator and unbolt it.
4) Take the front window channel out. You can take the rear out if youd like, it makes it easier.
5) with everything unbolted, turn the window so the smaller edge is pointing down(You know how the window slopes, you want the front smaller part to be on the bottom of the door)
6) Now lift the window out. The pieces that hold the window to the regulator should pull right off.

The instalation is reverse of removal. Hope this helps PM me if you have any questions

Window channel? Are these things that the ends of the window that guide the glass as it's going up and down?

I'm glad you mentioned about putting the small end down because in my head I was imagining it with the small end up. Hopefully I'll be able to test the process out on a dead Dakota tomorrow before ripping mine apart.

#4 ·
If you have comprehensive insurance on your policy, it's covered. When ever I need glass repair, I just call the glass place. There is a phone number my insurance company has me call, it gets replaced and I don't pay anything. Now, that's my insurance, you may have a different company. If you have full coverage, it's covered. I don't carry full coverage but I do have the comprehensive rider on my insurance. This also covers if you hit a deer as you have no control over them.

#6 ·
It's covered by my insurance but I still have to pay a $500 deductible. Even with the tint and all the expensive sound dampening shit that will need replaced it probably wouldn't make it to $500. I met with an adjuster today and he ran the numbers.

The window tint is holding it together and I put some clear packing tape on the other side for some strength too, but when I drive it's so damn hard to see anything. In the right light the cracks, the millions of cracks, sparkle in the sunlight like a gay vampire and it is unbelievably difficult to see, and if I roll down the window I know I will never get it back up. At least the way it is now it blocks out the rain and a would-be thief might not notice it's busted.

#7 ·
Sorry, They're the LOWER window channels, and yes its the track for the window. There's one bolt holding the front channel in, there are two on the rear. Ones on the Panel side of the door, the other is a torx head on the jam side, under the latch. I'm PRETTY sure its the smaller end down. Im not 100% sure, more like 95% sure it goes that way

#10 ·
I went to the junkyard and got a window from a Dakota with electric windows where someone had already removed the motor. I brought it home and installed it without much trouble. Of course I was pissed the whole time about the whole uselessness of the situation I was fixing that I should have had to fix in the first place, and angry at the time and expense required to repatch my sound dampening stuff and window tint.

One big thing is that the window will not go in if you attempt to insert it from the inside side of the door. If you stand on the outer side of the door it wil go in fine. That and finding ways to vacuum the shattered glass was the most difficult parts. A leaf blower helped kick the fragments out of their hiding places.

I haven't put the lower weatherstripping in yet because I figured it would be easier for the tint guy to do his job without that stuff in his way, so naturally it rained yesterday evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.