Dakota Durango Forum banner

If my truck rolls back on a hill without holding itself...bad??

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PhL0aTeR 
#1 ·
is this an indication of my tranny going bad? 112k miles on, sometimes it shifts awkwardly but otherwise i don't know if it's going. maybe my tourque converter going? just being cautious since i have to tow the largest uhaul trailer they got 2,000 miles from utah to georgia...don't want it to crap out in the middle of nowhere....

thanks!
jc

#3 ·
I am guessing auto since you said torque conveter. I would guess you didn't get in park all the way or shifting linkage is a little sloppy. No way it should roll if in park( tranny in trouble, unless 4x4 and transfer case is bad. Now, if stick, clutch is bad, engine compression is bad or was parked with to high a gear, my owners manual said 1st or rev.

#5 ·
sorry guys, trying to post too quickly...yes, it is an auto and it is while i'm in drive on a hill. i'm just about due for some tranny service...flush, filter change but i'm considering getting it rebuilt by AAMCO or any other reputable tranny place in the area.

#8 ·
Just depends on your stall speed of your torque converter. Mine never used to do this except on fairly steep hills/driveways. Now it does not take much with my higher stall converter. I don't think it means anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.