Dakota Durango Forum banner

46RE to 727 swap questions

25K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Z88Z 
#1 ·
I want to swap out the 46RE in my 1998 CC R/T for a 727. What all needs to be done to make this work. The trans is out of the truck now. Does anyone have a link or someone I can contact? Thanks!

John

Reactions: rnaz
#8 ·
....You will be throwing CEL's because the computer is looking for the tranny. SCT (at the moment) will not be able fix it from what I hear.....
.....PCM flashed, (but CEL will be permanent)...
I'm currently doing the same swap in my 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee.

I've dealt succesfully with that CEL issue on another build of mine - ultra simple 20 minute fix laying around in jy's everywhere - use a 98 Ram/Dak 5.2 or 5.9 5spd PCM!! :)

Spent the usual time going back and forth on the auto trans delete thing talking with Hemifever and B&G etc - in the end I decided to save myself the headaches. Now when Sean writes the tune he doesn't have to deal with the auto trans/CEL stuff.

Other than that, right - there is the xmember mount and custom dshaft to consider.

Flexplate indexing and notching for CKPS - might or might not be advisable depending on what you're gonna run at for horsepower and rpms.

By re-drilling I assume you mean widening that one offset hole? Or are the bolts a different size too?

If it's cuz of the offset hole there's a few ways around that too.
Probably easiest to use a 5.2 flexplate - just make sure you get the 90 degree FP, some 5.2s did come with an offset hole.

or.... drill the weights off your 5.9 FP (I assume you have a 5.9 in there?) They look to be pinhole welds that should be pretty easy to drill out without getting into the FP itself but I haven't tried that route myself.

or.... get your converter built with the mounting tabs in the correct 90 degree or offset for your motor (and correct bolt size if it turns out to be different) Martin Saine can do this as needed...

Fourth - and my choice: Use the stock 727 flexplate.

Reason being - your 46RE, RH or 44RE was made with that CKPS relief in it - somewhat reinforced, cast/machined to minimize stress there.

That's why I asked about your HP and RPM use - per Martin, the relieving the FP offset hole/notching for CKPS thing is OK for a streeter, even with a bit of extra HP - but if you're going for big HP and higher RPMs it's much safer NOT to do either of those.

So what about the CKPS you might ask? - I'm going with a damper mounted trigger wheel for the stock sensor. That allows for the use of any FP - including an SFI approved unit.

One other thing you'll need - fitting adapters. The fittings into my 727 are 1/8NPT . Assuming your 46RE is like mine the trans fittings are 1/4NPT and it has bigger lines.

Hardware store should have adapters - if not try a hydraulic hose shop or possibly even one of the performance fitting makers like Russell, Aeroquip or Aeromotive among others. I just got the Russell catalog yesterday but haven't looked to see if they have 1/8 to 1/4 NPT adapters (kickin myself in the butt over that one - ordered lots of parts from Summit including Russell EFI adapter fittings - found out the day the package arrived that I need trans adapters too :) LOL)

NOTE: If you are having the 727 built they can enlarge the holes to 1/4NPT - but obviously that's not an option on a tranny that's already together.

Looks like the rest of it is a direct swap: shifter and TV arms and brackets look to be the same, speed sensor and NSS switch also.

now if someone can just post a pic of a Dodge 46RE or RH shifter bracket in my thread in the tranny section I'd be real happy! :)

#3 ·
Been there done that...

There's a lot invlolved, tranny support, drive shaft, bell housing notched for the crank sensor, flex plate needs to be re-drilled....PCM flashed, (but CEL will be permanent), Make sure the 727 has all the good parts so it won't blow up on you...Don't do it on a daily driver....Especially if you running 4.56 gears.

It's a mod you have to research to figure it out....Lot's of options on the tranny build. I went with a Cope Racing Transmission with a low band apply reverse manual valve body with a billet steel drum, a bolt in sprague, and a PTC 8" 4K stall converter.

SMR supposedly has a kit to make for an easy swap, but nothing worked...And I mean nothing. Don't bother with those guys.

#7 ·
Well....PIA it was, but the 727 and 4K stall knocked 5 tenths off my 60' time, and I was coming from a Martin Saine built 46RE with a 2800 stall.

Can't beat that with a stick.

#13 ·
Way off there bud
518/46RH/46RE all all the same just the RE is electronic controlled and the RH is hydraulic controlled with a govner on the output shaft.
518/46RH/RE are like a 727 with an O/D
the 904 is like a 500/44RH/RE but with O/D

904 and 727 are similar but the 904 is smaller internals,higher first gear and has a double wrap low reverse band where the 727 has a single wrap band.
valve baodies from a 904 and 727 are the same and will transfer between the two(unless its a 999 witch has lock-up converter)
904 and 999 are the same execpt the 999 has a 5 disc front clutch and lock-up converter.

DEPUTY

#12 ·
when i did my swap i didn't have to inlarge any of the flex plate holes.( i used a flex plate from a 99. bolted right up). when i mounted a 99 360 to a 46rh i have to oblong one of the holes. but that was it. cut out a section on the bellhousing very simple for the crank sensor. got a adapter for the trans mount and had the drive shaft lengthened about 3 inches. im running a 727 with about 3000rpm stall and run 4.56 gears with a locker. its a little busy on the highway. and i got my speedo to work just by hooking up my speed sensor but i dont know about the new trucks mines a 94. the only thing is mine is off but i just have to the right gear for it.

#24 ·
mpi - that's a heck of a find! I assume the van was EFI too?

Probably only used in heavier duty applications. I wonder how long they continued to make these?

According to allpar.com: In 1989 and 1991, integral overdrives were added, resulting in the A-500 (based on the A-904) and the A-518 (based on the A-727). According to Rick, the engine computer controlled the electric overdrive unit built into the extension housing.
In 1994, according to Rick Ehrenberg, the transmissions were renamed, the 904 becoming the 32RH (three speeds, “2” torque rating, rear wheel drive, hydraulic control); and the A-518 (727 with overdrive) becoming the 46RH. Some years later, when electronic control was integrated into the system (the engine computer ordering the transmission to shift), the RE series was created, with the A-904 plus overdrive becoming the 42RE.

Now, how about taking this one step further...What if they did this in a Van after '96? Obd 2......Sct....
Out of curiosity - why would that matter?

As long as it has the notch it would be usable on OBD1 or OBD2, blocks and trans case are about the same etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.