Dakota Durango Forum banner

Small Novelty Trailer I've been Building

6K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  coop 
#1 ·
I'm building this to pull it with my show truck...... won't be used for hauling anything but the built in cooler and some of my show gear.

It'll be the same color has the same wheels, tires, ride height, roll pan, xenon kit (not on yet), tail lights ect

Coop

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It needs a little couch in there to go with the cooler.. :D

#3 ·
Some progress pictures. Couple small items to fix and I'll be sprayng color this weekend....yahoo!

Coop

Attachments

#4 ·
Waiting for the rotors and have to build braketry for the fake caliper covers....

Other than that I'm done.....

Gona go to a local show on sunday.

Attachments

#5 ·
Now that's a project I would like to do. Could you load up all of your pictures on photobucket? What axle assembly did you use? Would like to see under the seats. How did you fabricate the seat frame? Waiting on rotors imply it has brakes or is that part of the fake brakes?

#6 ·
Hey Bro,

Yes I have pics of the build but have to find some time to put them on photo bucket with the rest of my builds. I fabed the frame out of 2x2 tubing. The axle is a 3500# unit only cause I wanted 5 on 5 hubs. The leaf springs are 1000#. Those aren't seats....just compartments to hold by bag chairs, mirrors, chain barriers and other misc show stuff.

Theres a built in cooler under the oak floor. It's very baleaced which is not good....I need more tounge weight. I'm gona fill the tounge tubing and the forward frame cross tube with lead shot to give me the 60# I nned.

No brakes.....just rotors to fill the void and brake caliper covers on braketry to match the truck.....pic attached.

Bob

Attachments

#17 ·
send me a link....can't find it

bob

#8 ·
No...... I don't mind at all. Trailer Axles and Springs come in different ratings. The weight of the trailer unloaded is 620 pounds so of course I don't need a axle that would support 3500 pounds..... but only the 3500 pound rated axle came with 5 lug on a 5" bolt pattern to match my wheels. I had the axle built to match the same hub to hub dimension as the truck so wheel and tire protrusion from the wheel lip matches the truck exactlly.

Long story but I would have rather used 6 lug like on the truck so they were all interchangable with the truck, but the wheels which are Boss 304 are discontinued. I looked high and low for months and could only find a full set of 5 lug chevy so that's what i had to go with.

The springs are rated for 1000 pounds so that means the gross weight loaded is limited to 1000 pounds. I didn't want to go with a higher rating because it would have rode to hard, unless loaded and my load will be less than 200 pounds.

Picture of frame with springs and axle, wheels attached

Attachments

#10 ·
Nice, I have a full size version, not cut down. Using stock frame underneath and a kind of stock rear end. Was my old "99 R/T. Rear end is from Don McDonalds old truck because he cut off sway bar brackets so I traded my stock one for his that he gave to Russ Crow because Russ wanted rear sway bar.

#11 ·
Cool... Next year I'm gona build something to pull my bike. some thing with a dropped-in rail to ride the bike into and maybe lowered or stepped quater panels. Not exactly sure yet but something for the bike.

Everything cool with you home now? I remember you thought you might have to sell the truck.....

Coop

#13 ·
Cool Beans....glad all is well. I've seen a few on the stock frame and rear like that around. I may use the stock frame for the bike trailer but I'll want the ride height the same as the truck..... just like the one I just built so it'll have to be off a 2wd and I'll have to lower it.

#15 ·
You have plenty of room to bring it down. Some adjustable spring hangars would make it easy. I forget if mine are western or hotchkis.

Today is the start of 2 weeks off for me..... I'm gona do alot of nothing, I'm burnt. Hopefully I can forget what day it is in a few :eek:)

Take care

#16 ·
ahhhhh thats awesome and you matched the wheels. Both of yall. I love it. Im looking for an extended bed or long bed to do this too

#20 ·
Best 2wd Truck & Best of Show

Harley Renezvous 2 trophys & 600 bucks!

Attachments

#22 ·
Thank you sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.