Dakota Durango Forum banner

low idle stalling

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  midnite 
#1 ·
98 Durango 5.2 low idle and stalling.i had it parked for 2 weeks and i started it up today to keep the battery alive, i took it down the road and i noticed it was at a low idle and when i hit the end of my drive way i stopped to see if anybody was coming and it went to the low idle and stalled out so i thought it was low on gas because my gas light was on but it still does it after i put $20 in it... but no check engine light on. what do you think it could be?

#2 ·
Check your battery first. I went through some funky idling issues when my OE battery started to give up, and when that replacement started to give up.

#5 ·
Low Idle Stalling

1998 Durango 5.9L with 174K miles. Same thing happened to me on Valentine's Day (kinda embarassing with the wife in the Durango). Anyway, pulled out the IAC and it was full of carbon.

I was going to do the carbon cleaning method, but my mechanic friend recommend that I just change the IAC since I had an 1998 model with a lot of miles. Picked up the part at O'Reilly's (Part: 21821 - I like the BWD brand, just partial I guess) for about $65 (other brands were around $35 and up) and installed it. Now the engine idles nicely and no "stalling."

Thank you for the troubleshooting and recommendation!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.