Dakota Durango Forum banner

4W ABS pump running even when key off...

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  redtrek 
#1 ·
Hi there.

I'm a newbie to this forum, but it seems like there are quite a few knowledgable contributors here.

I've had a 2K Durango since 2003 and have never had any major issues with it other than replacing the throttle position sensor and replacing the driver's side exhaust manifold. Otherwise, it's just been standard maintenance for about the last 80K miles. It has almost 113K on it now. It has the 4.7L with the tow package.

My wife drives it most of the time and she is a very gentle driver.

Today she stopped to get the mail half a block from our house. When she started the truck back up, the ABS pump started running. She drove it to the house and turned off the truck, but the ABS pump kept running. After she called me for ideas, she got my neighbor to come over and he unplugged the bigger harness from the pump. My daughter said she smelled smoke when she got out of the car in our garage, but my wife said she didn't see or smell it.

When I got home I found that it does the same thing when I plug it back in. I thought that disconnecting the battery might fix it, but no such luck.

From what I've read on the threads here, it sounds like it could be the rear ABS sensor or one of the hub sensors. I've had the rotors turned and the pads replaced as part of regular maintenance, but I've never flushed the system or replaced the calipers. It has the standard rear drum brakes as well.

It also seems that one of the front rotors could be stuck and the ABS system is reading it as a lock-up, so it's trying to pump the brakes to prevent a skid. That wouldn't explain, however, why it keeps running on nothing but battery power without even a key in the ignition.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Money is tight, but I do have a friend with all the tools to do whatever is necessary.

Until I do have it fixed, is it better to leave the harness unplugged from the pump or to leave that plugged in and just pull the fuse? I've read on here that either one will cause the speedometer to quit working and could possibly cause some shift-point issues with the transmission, so I'll try to resolve this as quickly as possible.

The only thing I can think of that would cause the pump to run while the car is off is a shorted wire.

Any input or ideas are appreciated!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.