Dakota Durango Forum banner

Tow Hooks

15K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  aircruiser 
#1 ·
I was thinking it would be nice to have a couple tow hooks on the front of my Durango, but was under the front end changing fog light bulbs today and didn't see an easy way to do that. Anyone have them and if so, how did you install them? Pictures please...

#2 ·
I couldn't really picture a way either, they'd have to be pretty long to connect to the frame and be welded on and would have to go through your bumper. I'm in Ottawa Lake, just north of Sylvania, OH. You?

#6 ·
I wish I could say the same for my Dak, but the new tires help a lot. Good thing my fiance just got a new 4x4 jeep to get me around on the bad days, like the 6" out of nowhere today on top of it all.

#7 ·
I pulled someone out the snow a couple of days ago and it made me think where the towing points are on the front of my Dakota, had a look today and can't find any, someone told me I'd probably need to just chuck a strap around the subframe. Glad you posted, hope someone can come up with an idea:banana2:

#12 ·
Ok gotcha on the bumper holes, I forgot what a stock bumper even looks like. Yea I know the frame is behind the bumper, that's why I said they'd have to go through the bumper in my first post. It would be some easy fab work for me but I don't feel like doing it during my lunch breaks at work.

#14 ·
I can't find a picture, but if you search I am sure I have posted one before.

I used chevy towhooks. Basically they fit between the framerails and bolt with 2 or 3 bolts. You would need to notch the lower valence bottom lip a little, but not noticeable.

I will be in the garage for a bit and try to find one of the hooks, they are not mounted up anymore.

#15 ·
i have an idea that consist of welding to the frame and going through the bumper. this spring ill be doing it and taking pics. ill make a thread then if this helps.

i do remember norcal and his chevy ones. if you search you should find it

#16 ·
Hmmm! My '04 Dak QC was used as a towed vehicle behind a motor home and came with 1.5" ID square tube receptacles inside those 2 holes in the plastic valance. The square tubing appears to be 1/4" wall or so and is approx. 8" long welded to a steel plate that reaches up to the frame rail with large round tube hvy. wall spacers and thru bolts. There is also a secondary hvy steel strap that I believe is welded to outside of square receiver and reaches up and back at an angle and is bolted thru frame rail about where inside edge of front tire would rub on frame rail when turned in hard if you were using oversize tires. The sq. receiver has thru holes behind valance for pins when installing tow yoke. I plan to make a set of 1.5" OD x 8" inserts cross drilled for pins in the back and for D rings in front. The possibilty for hooks, D's, bumper guards, pushers etc. is endless once you have those receptacles and to me they looked like a mfg. part as opposed to homemade. You might google towing equipment for Daks or some such and get some results. I just put the bumper back on so getting pix would be a bit hard and my computer skills are limited anyway. Hope my description gives you an idea, no need to drill thru bumper or any of that stuff...Mark

#20 ·
Forget tow hooks.. install a winch. Save yourself so you don't need to beg others like a pesent.

#26 ·
Just for fun here are a few pictures of my setup. I installed a front hitch which I mounted a 3/8in plate bolted to the frame to the 5/8 D-Ring bracket.

I used to have that same 3/8in bracket bolted to tow hooks but I never like the weak point if pulling at an angle.

#27 ·
I used tow hooks off of a Chevy 1/2 ton truck on my 98 Dakota. With the 3" body lift the stuck out just below the plastic part under the bumper. I sold them once I bought the used winch bumper but the worked great and I just needed to drill 2 holes in the frame then run a long bolt through it all.

That was many years and cars ago so I do not have any pics on this computer but I will keep looking for them somewhere.

#30 ·
I made a tow hook bracket for mine with the help of a buddy and I didn't have to cut my bumper at all. I made a thread I can't find it with my phone but I think its in this section

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.