Dakota Durango Forum banner

Turn signals blink twice then stop

33K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Levassor1 
#1 ·
My 99 Durango has a turn signal gremlin. Left or right side doesn't matter, they will only blink twice after activating, then they stop blinking. If I turn them off then on right after that happens I get nothing. Three seconds later I can turn them on and only two blinks. Hazzards work fine. Can anybody help?

#2 ·
Is the stalk still engaged when they quit? If so, sounds like the flasher relay has burnt up.

#4 ·
Yes replace the flasher module. That's what mind started doing when it went out. The flasher is on the back side of the fuse panel on the side of the dash.

#5 ·
The flasher is a PITA to get to. I just fixed this on our 2000 Durango. The fusebox has a panel on the far left side of the dash, only accessible with the door open. Open that and you'll see what might be a flasher unit but this isn't it. Look up above the parking brake pedal at the BACK SIDE of the fuse panel. There should be a beige plastic panel there with a black rectangular relay and a green square relay (if it's original). The green one is the flasher. It's the one on top. It's tough to get in and out if you have fat American fingers like mine. 5-prong, they run about $15-$20 most parts houses.

The problem with this single flasher system is it makes you think something big is wrong when it isn't. The turn signals will blink minimally and then not at all, but the hazards will keep working. These stupid 5-prong flashers have two circuits in them. The one that gets used most (the turn signals) will fail first, but the hazard light circuit will still work. So someone like me who is used to seeing two separate flashers in a vehicle will think, "well, there's only one flasher, so the flasher must be good if the hazards still work!" And we'll go spend $45 or $162 or whatever on the multifunction switch thinking it HAS to be the problem. I'm glad I changed the flasher first. Sounds different and I don't like the new click sound, but they WORK and that means I'll pass inspection next month if nothing else breaks between now and then.

#7 ·
This is like the one we bought...5 prongs on it...

Cost about $19 at AutoZone, I see them for about $15 on Amazon.

Still working great 4 months later. Still hate the new clicky sound. Oh well!

#10 ·
durango turn signal relay burnout

Hi,
For several years, this 2000 Durango has occasionally blown the fuse for the turn signals. Now it does it almost instantly. I just replaced the flasher unit with one from NAPA and it fried instantly! All the blubs are good, btw.
I tried disconnecting the brake light switch and it made no difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.