Dakota Durango Forum banner

Rear Drums - Ribbed or Smooth Interchangeable?

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  mcsew2k 
#1 ·
I went to pickup new 10" brake drums I ordered for my 1999 Dakota 4X4 and one has ribs and the other is smooth; same part number (2993). I looked at the drums on the truck and they are smooth. When looking at pictures on the Internet it does not look consistent for particular year models. It appears that the ribbed ones would fit in place of the smooth and they are heavier and appear to have better cooling. Are the ribbed ones better to use and will they work? Does one warp easier that the other? I plan on towing my small travel trailer and want better braking if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I grabbed some pictures off the Internet to show the two different drums I have been presented. I am finding that the ribbed version is more consistently listed as for 1991-1998 Dakotas, smooth on the 1999 (like mine), then going to 11" in 2000. Where I bought them lists 1991-1999 all the same and shows a picture of the smooth ones. I measured and check fitted the ribbed version on my 1999 and they seem like they would work. The store ordered a third drum so I have a good chance of at least having a matched pair, but I really want the best performing pair, whichever it may be.

Attachments

#4 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention that the ribbed version has a thinner stamped steel center section that is welded to a cast outer section while the smooth one is a one piece casting and is thicker in the center. Is the one piece construction less likely to warp?

#7 ·
Bendix seems to be the definitive OE replacement info source: The Bendix PDR0602 is listed for 1991-98 is ribbed and the PDR0725 is listed for 1999 and is smooth. The shoes are all the same.

I measured the friction surface diameter (10"), center hole diameter, distance from back of hub surface to friction surface, and width of friction surface and they all matched. Both drums sit flat on the hub and snugly over the brake shoes. The total outside diameter and depth are larger for the ribbed one, but there is plenty of clearance to the vehicle and wheel for it to be larger. I am convinced I could use either one.

I am thinking that the one piece cast one is the better one for longevity because it has a larger max diameter dimension, but the ribbed one might be better for fade prevention especially while towing a trailer. Any other thoughts about that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.