Dakota Durango Forum banner

oil cap

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hskrRT 
#1 ·
hi i have a 2000 dakota 3.9 liter and i have been working on and bought it from a buddy of mine when he had it he had no problems with the thing now that i have it i have alot of problems with it mind you this thing has been sitting sense last oct. getting started here and there to go around the block or just to move it but lately the oil cap is stuck on the valve covers and i cant get it off at all whats a good way to get it off without breaking it so far ive only tried wd40 and a pair of chanel locks on it

#3 ·
I am trying to twist off and when I get to to turn it just clicks both directions just clicks and I don't really wanna have to go out and buy a new one if I can avoid it ya know and how do I even break the thing off? Is there anyway around not breaking it ofd

#4 ·
How much is your time worth?

New ones from RockAuto are under $5 (one at $3.24) before shipping ...

At that rate, I'd break off the top and use the pliers to twist the bottom out, since it seems like the overriding clutch is broken on your current cap.

To not break it off - remove the valve cover and unthread it from the inside. *dry* You may notice that the valve cover gasket set is pricer than the cap is ... and if it's doing what you're describing, the cap is broken, and will need to be replaced ANYWAY.

RwP

#5 ·
i ended up getting it off by taking a flat head screwdriver and hammering that around the cap i took the valve cover off and there was no way i could even get access to the threads on it and i tried taking my pliers to so many different times and nothing would happen wouldnt break off or anything but using the flat head way was honsetly the easiest way to do then what every one has said

#6 ·
Yeah, no access to bottom of oil cap with the baffles inside valve cover. Glad you got it off. Now buy a new one before you have same isssue when you put old one back on.

And Id be willing to bet your "buddy" was having problems with it as well and thats why he stopped driving it and sold it. Just because he said it was running fine doesnt mean it really was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.