Dakota Durango Forum banner

headliner removal

19K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  kkeyes66 
#1 ·
I just got my black suede fabric in the mail and i was wondering how do you remove the headliner. thanks and what glue should i use?

#2 ·
Don't think I can be of help on the removal, but I'd use 3M Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive 90. I've used it in the past to adhere speaker cabinet carpet to a dashboard of an old car. Current owner still has the dash intact and it hasn't peeled up at all. I did it over 10 years ago and still going strong.

#3 ·
for removing the headliner, you need to remove all of the things that are bolted to it. ie. the visors, dome lights, handles, overhead console, coat hooks, etc. Once you do that, it comes down easily.

as for the glue. the very high strength 3M spray adhesive like he mentioned will work, or you can use what i used from joanne fabrics and get this stuff in a black spray can that is just called "headliner spray glue" Its $20 a can though and i bet you would need two to do your durango. BUT the stuff is really really strong.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the glue or else you will be redoing it. Use that stuff from joanne fabrics or whatever 3M's strongest spray adhesive is. Dont waste your time with imitations. I tried doing mine with a cheaper spray adhesive that i just picked up at walmart for like $5. Sounded like good stuff. Dont remember the brand but they make a lot of glues that i had used in the past. But after a couple days the headliner started to come down in some areas. When i tried the new stuff I got, i could tell as i was spraying, the difference witht he glues. This stuff was a much stronger bond and goes on much thicker than most spray adhesives.

edit: found it http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=95002&PRODID=182627&source=search

#5 ·
heres the site i think i paid 76 all together and im doing the headliner and door panelssuede

#6 ·
how do you remove the visor clips not the ones screwed into the roof but the little hook theings that the visor snaps into. And how do you remove the coat hanger things?

#8 ·
dodgesportz26 said:
how do you remove the visor clips not the ones screwed into the roof but the little hook theings that the visor snaps into. And how do you remove the coat hanger things?
the visor clips are a bitch. when i did mine i cracked one of them. not really noticeable since i painted it but it still pissed me off. i tried to pry it apart and thats what cracked it. honestly just pull with all your might while grabbing it from the sides and you should get it. its ok if you have to pry a little just be careful how you do it.
the coat hanger hooks on mine were actually screwed in. you just had to pop the little cover back to expose the screws. not sure how they are on a durango.

#9 · (Edited)
Its the same way. yea thats going to be the hard part of it those visor clips are a pain. some my pillars done in suede

#13 ·
i was able to do my 2003 QC without taking any shoulder restraints down but I did sort of unsnap the plastic pillars. This job was more tricky than I anticipated. Removal of the head board was very cumbersome and it actually broke in one spot (2" sliver between windshield and overhead console) trying to maneuver it out of the one of the doors. If you decide to take the shoulder restraints down it looks like a very large torx bit is needed to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.