Dakota Durango Forum banner

Water Temp Gauge

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TazRango 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased a 2004 Durango with a 5.7L Hemi engine. I got home and noticed the temp gauge hadn't moved. Simple cure, I thought. The temp sensor has been replaced. I'm looking for the electrical schematic for the gauge. The vehicle isn't running hot. But, I want to resolve this problem before it does. I've purchased a repair manual but it doesn't cover the electrical side of the sensor.

I would really appreciate the help and guidance. Thanking everyone in advance.

Tobme

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to our zoo! :D :wave:

In an 04 the sensor isn't directly connected to the gauge, it goes to the PCM and then the reading is sent to the cluster digitally via the CANBUS. There are three possibilities:

The replacement sender was faulty or the wrong one, the wiring between the sender and PCM is damaged, or the stepper motor in the cluster that drives the temp gauge is bad.

First rule out the bad gauge by holding down the Trip/Reset button and turning the ignition to ON (don't start, just ON). Hold the button until CHEC appears in the odometer then release it. The cluster will run a self-check routine that includes moving all of the gauges in 1/4 sweep increments to 100%. If the temp gauge doesn't move, you've found the problem. I believe the motors are still plug-in replaceable in that generation but would have to come from another 04-08 cluster.

If the gauge functions during the test, unplug the sensor and short the wires in the harness together - which should make the gauge jump to hot. If so, you got a bad sensor. If not, then you'll have to check the harness for abraded/cut wires. There is a connector between the sensor and the PCM (the Alldata diagram for that connector is really shitty but it appears to be at the back of the engine, top driver's side) so there may be a corroded pin there also. The signal wire is purple/orange at the sensor, and after the connector it becomes blue/red to the PCM. The ground wire (dark blue/dark green) is common to several sensors (IAT, MAP, etc) so unless you're seeing codes for those the main sensor ground is OK, but definitely check for continuity to ground at the sensor connector itself.

#3 ·
TazRango,

Thank you for your help. I've completed the gauge test. The reset did cause the gauge to do a sweep. The temp sensor is new. I'm not ruling it out. But, I have something to bounce off of you. What do you think about the thermostat not being in the vehicle?

#6 ·
The electrical side has been checked: connector voltage 4.7v, grounding out the connector ( PO118), it didn't cause the gauge to move, but I did replace the temp sensor again. Check the connection at the PCM, nothing loose, disconnected, or frayed wires. Water pump and thermostat was replaced too. Coolant Temp System needs repair to help remove PO420 code.

Thank you again.

#7 ·
Did you check C110?

#10 ·
Yeah the connector on the back driver's side of the engine. Like I said the diagram in Alldata is awful so I can't see exactly where it is but it looks to be somewhere near the back of the valve cover, maybe where the engine harness meets the firewall. The PCM isn't seeing the output of the sensor, so unless that input went bad on the PCM itself (which isn't out of the question but wouldn't be my first culprit), then there has to be a broken wire or rotten connection somewhere between the sensor and PCM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.