Dakota Durango Forum banner

P0441 code, common problems?

31K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dodgeguy6123 
#1 ·
Its the evap system (could be 1 of like 15 things). Has anybody had problems with this and fixed it? Are there other things that could cause this code to look out for?

#2 ·
I had p0455 which is a large leak, it turned out to be a cracked vacuum hose around my battery. I replaced it last week, and it went away.

#4 ·

Yep, nice big crack on the end right there. haha

#5 ·
I get the 0456 code (small evap leak) and I cannot for the life of me find out whats causing it. I've checked the vacume hoses and none of them are cracked or leaking, could the gas cap really be the culprit?

#7 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by Josh_101
I get the 0456 code (small evap leak) and I cannot for the life of me find out whats causing it. I've checked the vacume hoses and none of them are cracked or leaking, could the gas cap really be the culprit?

answer: yes

i have read that the stealerships have a smoke machine that forces smoke thru evap lines to find a small leak:Dblkjak.

A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking

http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=454
There's also TSB's fro some dakota's that address erroneous dtcs for evap leaks meaning the code is being set under certain conditions but the system is still sealled and functioning as it should. It essentially reprograms the PCM to be less sensitive, they'd have to run the software # in your PCM to see if the flash is appplicable, Lastly with the dealer scan tool these codes are relatively easy to fix because the factory scanner will actuate all components in the evap system plus run a test after any repairs have been done to check the sealing capacity of the system, so if your truck is failling the monitor that frequently then it should be easy to find the leak. If your dealer doesn't have a working smoke machine then find another dealer because they probably don't know what they're doing anyway.

#10 ·
it doesn't take much to set off an evap leak code, usually you can't even see the leaks it can sense, sometimes the only way to find that is use a low pressure smoke machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.