Dakota Durango Forum banner

Programming a new key

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nite_Vizion 
#1 ·
Maybe this is the proper place to post this question:

So I had a good laugh when the Stealership told me that in order to buy and have programmed a new key for my '02 Durango, plus program an additional remote, I would need to spend almost 2 bills. Yeah, right. There has to be a way around this.
I just bought a transponder key for $15; I have an extra unprogrammed remote and a friend (former Chrysler tech) with an OBD11 reader. Gonna look him up and see what can be done. I only have 1 working key and 1 working remote (but I don't really trust it). Does anyone know the process for programming a fresh key? I'd like to go prepared.

#2 ·
If you have the owner's manual it contains the instructions for programming the key fobs. If you don't have the manual, I or someone else can easily supply the procedure. It's quite simple and you only need one functioning/programmed fob to perform it. You can program up to four fobs to your truck.

You will need two working transponder keys to program additional ones. So: if you only have one, you'll have to get it done at the dealer or by a locksmith that has the correct equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.