Dakota Durango Forum banner

2000 durango lift available...?

42K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  donald jones 
#1 ·
Hey forum.
I just recently bought a 2000 Durango SLT 4.7. I was looking into the lift kits, and noticed only a 5.5" suspension lift is available for 98 and 99, and then the 3" body lift for all years. I wana fit 35's, and most definitely do not want a body lift. All I hear from friends after they install body lifts is how much they regret it. Is there a suspension lift kit for 2000 durango's?
And my other question is about the ball joints. I was told they are known to go very quickly especially with large tires. Is this a true fact? Should I not run 35's?
or do the lift kits come with new ball joints that can withstand the amount of pressure and weight from the larger tires.
Thank you,
Brendon

#2 ·
35's will require you to do a little cutting for clearance. The only lift offered for our durangos is a torsion bar lift. That will only give you a 1.75" lift, realistically. If you're looking for something taller, then you will have to go the sas route.

#5 ·
I'm not 100% sure about the 35's fitting with just the torsion lift. You would have to do a search to see if there is anything on it. I would def say 33's will fit with a little less cutting though. I have also heard of guys running 35's and going through hubs like crazy, too.

#6 ·
Yeah I figured. Is there another option other than the shackles for the rear to match the amount of lift from the torsion bars in the front? The shackles look horrid, especially after the body lift because of how much of it shows. If my only option is the torsion bars, 3" body lift (do they make a 2 inch?), and either an add-a-leaf or some sort of leveling kit, I'll lean more towards that and run 33's

#8 ·
these trucks have the frame tucked in so deep from the factory that when a body lift is on it doesnt look stupid at all, i put a three inch on my dak with 2 inch blocks and torsion bar lift and i love it, i am very happy with it. i would go with lift shakles rather than an add a leaf because an add a leaf will make it ride stiffer.

#12 ·
im runnin 255/75/16 pizza cutters for now until i can save some cash here is the best side pic i have of it.

#13 ·
I'm about to do a test fit on my 2000 Durango with 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on stock 15x8 Durango rims. I have heard of guys going with 33's with no mods at all, but I won't believe it until I see it. I have read several articles on this website concerning the various lifting options and how to do them, and I must say there's plenty of info right here to do a t/s lift yourself. The members here know whats up, and I feel confident in all the info they have posted. I DO NOT think my 33's are gonna clear the fenders up front, so I'm planning to do a 3" body lift by Performance Accessories (heres the link for that) http://www.suspensionconnection.com...e/to=x/tf=model/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html

Im also considering buying a 3' torsion key lift for 50 bucks on ebay...

I will post more asap...We have snow coming so Im not sure when my test tire is gonna make it into 4 Wheel Concepts here in Bentonville. It's supposed to get here in 2 days. I'll let you know what I find out and I'll try to to remember to snap some photos along the way.

Attachments

#14 ·
FYI, I am running 33x12.5s, first on stock wheels and now on wheels with 3.75BS. The current wheels did rub slightly but I just trimmed the valence and the inner splash guard.

Suspension is stock other then cranking the stock tbar keys. You don't need to order replacement keys. This is on a 99 durango.

#16 ·
Ok, the weather has had us all shut down for awhile, but we finally completed the test-fit today with the 33x12.50 Baja Claws on my stock rims....They BARELY touch the valance down low on the front of the tire. The guys at 4Wheel Concepts offered to trim whatever they needed to for "..mebbe 20 bucks..." they said..So im happy...Truck goes to the paint shop tomorrow then all 4 tires go on this Thursday..Ill post pics then..

#17 ·
You shouldn't need to trim the bumper to much, I used a razor blade to do mine. You can see how much I trimmed the front bumper in this pic -

I also pulled the flares off and trimmed behind them. Once reinstalled you cant see what I did, but I don't rub at all.

#19 ·
Tires ON!

Got the 33's put on today and trimmed the valance a tad to accomodate them...Then on the backside of the front fenders, we simply drilled a couple of holes down low and ran a zip-tie through there and sucked the fenderwell lining back about an inch to make sure the tires didn't rub..It was VERY easy and looks pretty good. Big change from those stock 31x10.50 pizza cutters...here are some pics before and after..Thanks goes out to all the guys here who posted regarding a durango lift/mod...You saved me a lot of time and effort.

Now its time to go get MUDDY!!!! My daughters are getting into the truck as I type this..they can't wait!!

Attachments

Reactions: Silver2000D
#23 ·
Yep, I agree..prolly go with the afforementioned T/S lift, because im not paying 2700 bucks for a 2 inch Rancho suspension lift...thats crazy..Oh and the 225 dollar 3 inch body lift is lookin pretty good too...

#25 ·
Yeah...was goofin around this morning at the jobsite and B-stone rocks were wedging between my tires and the front fenders every now n then...made me cringe...I need to get it up some more for sure...

Attachments

#29 ·
correct me if im wrong but the only welding is on the 4x4 shifter and i heard you dont even need to add the extension. i have an 04 so mine is electronic and i didnt need to do any welding.

#30 ·
Well that sounds goods! i have an electronic shifter as well. Gonna read up some more on it. i have the BL for 2 months now, just hard finding someone what will do it around here, unless you know someone that knows someone... might end up doing it myself, which i wouldnt mind, unless it takes me more than a few days then am screwed since its my daily.

Thanks 2004Dak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.