Dakota Durango Forum banner

Is there a fuse for the "Power Outlet?"

44K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  flako223 
#1 · (Edited)
My '99 has both a cig lighter and a power outlet, the power outlet gave out a few months ago and I haven't found a fuse or anything to check for it. About that same time the same thing happened to my '01 Ram which also has both outlets. Is there a fuse for the power outlet or what else should I check?

TIA
- Joe -

EDIT: oops, I guess i'm already half asleep, I put this in Dakota instead of D-go. But I assume that's ok for this question anyway. sorry, my bad.

#2 ·
Check the owners manual. It should have a diagram for where the fuse is. Most likely its in the fuse block under the hood (Power Distribution Center). I doubt there is a separate fuse for the cig lighter and the power outlet. But i could be wrong.

If there isn't a separate power outlet fuse, I'd check the outlet itself. The contacts tend to wear out inside the cylinder.

#3 ·
I had the same problem. Couldn't find the fuse anywhere. It is located in the fuse panel on the inside the cab, but on the back side of the panel. You will be able to see it if you crawl underneath with a flashlight. hth.

Reactions: lvin4jc
#4 ·
Sometimes I wonder what these high paid engineers are thinking when they design some of these components :huh:

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know, repped!

#5 ·
Which one is it on the back side of the panel? Or how do you figure it out? I could just pull them all to see which is bad, but my power outlet hasn't worked in ages.

#6 ·
I can't remember which one it was. I had the same issues and someone on here told me where it was located. I just ended up pulling until i got the bad one.

#9 ·
Hmmn, I have two on the backside of the panel a 10A and a 15A (of course they don't say what they go to and the owners manual says nothing about any fuses on the backside) but the power outlet says 20A right on it, I guess i'll try replacing them one by one as mentioned because they all look good.

#10 ·
if nobody mentioned it yet there is a second small fusebox under the dash near the e-brake release. my ipod charger wasn't working and after replacing one of those it worked.

#11 ·
In my 98 and 99 Dakota's there are only 2 fuse panels. 1 under hood- Fuel pump relays, etc etc. Then, the other, you open the drivers side door, and it's on the side of the dash. I have never looked on the backside of that panel, maybe that is where the fuse for the power outlet is.

#15 · (Edited)
To clear up the original question, YES, there ARE two separate fuses. The cigarette lighter is on the same fuse as the radio in the box on the side of the dash - in the front, NOT in the "hidden" panel on the back of it. The power ports are wired differently depending on the year. Most of them will be a 20A fuse in the PDC under the hood. In 99 it is fuse #4 , in 03 it is fuse D. 2000 looks like a bastard year in that it first goes through a 50A fusible link (#12) in the PDC which serves the power ports and factory tow, then splits to a 20A fuse (slot B) serving the power ports in the "hidden" panel on the back of the dash fuse block (and for the record, there is NO mention whatsoever of those hidden fuses in the manual).

#17 ·
My 2000 Durango had no power to the Power Outlet. I found the 20A fuse for it, along with three other fuses whose purpose I do not know, under the dash behind the regular fuse panel. I never would have thought to look there were it not for the replies above. It was quite difficult removing and replacing the fuse, but I finally got a new one in and the problem is fixed. Why the brilliant engineers chose to put these fuses there and not mention it in the owners manual is a mystery to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.