Dakota Durango Forum banner

Billowing white smoke from exhaust

15K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  UberFr0g 
#1 ·
(searched but didnt find these symptoms)

I went out to move my dak (3.9) a minute ago and noticed it was billowing white smoke out of the exhaust while idleing. I drove it earlier today with no problems or power loss, and it started just fine now.

I checked the oil...seems ok, not milk-shake like or anytnhing. The coolant level seemed fine. Funny thing is the oil pressure at idle sits about 3/4 of the way up....no idea whats causing that.

Please don't say blown head gasket, im in the process of saving to have my stratys r/t head gasket replaced....:rant:

ps: exhaust smells like normal exhaust...not sweet or anything.

#3 ·
coolant leak as in....coolant in my oil?

forgot to mention my cat has been rattlein around for a couple of months and i just recently started getting an o2 sensor code...im assuming the rear one. but its not on anymore.

#4 ·
Coolant from heads.

#6 ·
sure it not just condensation? and your oil pressure at idle should be high when the engine is not up to temps idling. it should fall to half way point or lil under after warm up.

#7 ·
well, i went out today....actually has a little light cause it was daylight. The oil doesn't appear to be milky (checked before i started it and after it idled for a bit) and there does not appear to be oil in the overflow tank water.

I've never nopticed it idling at 3/4 like it does now. I recently did a full tune up on it. Had to change the oil because the truck had been neglected and not changed for over 7k....someone else was using it for a while :rant:.
It looks liek white smoke but could it be from the new oil breaking up some gunk left behind from the old and causing a clog/burning off??

The white smoke is hardly noticeable unless u look for it during the day...seems to be dripping a bit of condensation from the exhaust but nothing major.

I just do not want to drive it if it is a cracked head or blown gasket...i dont need that many problems right now with school starting back in 3 weeks :rant:

G
#8 ·
well, i went out today....actually has a little light cause it was daylight. The oil doesn't appear to be milky (checked before i started it and after it idled for a bit) and there does not appear to be oil in the overflow tank water.

I've never nopticed it idling at 3/4 like it does now. I recently did a full tune up on it. Had to change the oil because the truck had been neglected and not changed for over 7k....someone else was using it for a while :rant:.
It looks liek white smoke but could it be from the new oil breaking up some gunk left behind from the old and causing a clog/burning off??

The white smoke is hardly noticeable unless u look for it during the day...seems to be dripping a bit of condensation from the exhaust but nothing major.

I just do not want to drive it if it is a cracked head or blown gasket...i dont need that many problems right now with school starting back in 3 weeks :rant:
7K????????????? Damn, I hope you had synthenic oil in the crankcase!!

I think you may be getting all excited about a little condensation. Take it for a drive, let everything come up to operating temp and then get back with us.

#10 ·
Yes, fully synthetic every time. Changed the oil again....pretty darn sludgy, and took it for a spin to the mechanic. Shop did a few compression tests and whatnot and says everything appears to be fine. Its been raining alot here lately so it's most likely moisture.

Do have a massive exhaust leak though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.