Dakota Durango Forum banner

2.5, no spark, no start issue

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Jay_d 
#1 ·
recently i pulled my poor little 98 dakota out of the weeds behind my shop and rebuilt the 4 banger engine. wasnt in bad shape, just parked her b/c of a loud bottom end knock. tore it down, found number 3 had the skirt busted off lying in the oil pan. 4 new pistons, rings and bearings later the little feller is back in business after 5 years.

fast forward 2 weeks later, develops a condition where it would just cut off going down the road, would always crank back, so it didnt bother me that much b/c its a beater that i use for a loaner vehicle for the guy who works for me. until last tuesday, he parked on the jobsite, worked and went to go get lunch and it wouldn'nt crank back. Checked for gas, has it. Checked for air, seems to be breathing fine. checked for spark, nada. replaced coil. still nothing, opened distributor inspected rotor button and pickup coil, and replaced rotor button. still nothing, replaced crank shaft censor, nothing. at this point i was pissed and was seriously considering driving over it with a logging skidder so i left it alone. came back later and checked a few fuses and relays. no blown fuses, didnt really have a way to check relays so i swapped a few around. still no spark. at this point now the mileage odometer blinks, so i pulled some codes.

920 921 999 were the three i got. no idea what they mean. anybody have any ideas? hate to junk it cause its got a rebuilt engine with 375 miles on it.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.