Dakota Durango Forum banner

Water pump (pulley) shot again

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  guttertrash 
#1 ·
This will be the second time in about 2 years that I have to replace my water pump because the pulley is wobbly. I recently had to replace my tensioner and idler pulleys as well, could this be the cause of the water pump going out of whack, or is there something else I should be looking to fix before sacrificing yet another water pump? The fan maybe? Not sure how I would check that to be the culprit?

#3 ·
Meh I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on being a reman.. New units can have lemon bearings too.

That said I would just swap it again, chances are it was just a bad unit. There's nothing a bad tensioner would do that would cause it. Possibly the fan is out of balance, but it's unlikely unless it has taken a hit or it's rotting.

#5 ·
Ok if you had a "lifetime" warranty then it definitely was not a reman. Remanufactured parts are ones where the main body of the part (which usually has very little if any actual wear) is reconditioned and new wear items (like bearings, seals, etc) are put in. The most obvious way to tell when you are buying a remanufactured part is that they will be substantially cheaper than a new part, and they almost always have a 'core charge' attached when you buy them. This is a (sometimes substantial) deposit that is refunded when you bring back the old part in the new box - basically like bottle deposits.

A1-Cardone is the largest parts remanufacturer in the world, and I personally have no problem buying their parts. I've used them for years and saved a lot of money. One could argue that a remanufactured part is better than new, because it has been individually quality controlled, unlike new, where every like 50th part is QC'd on the production line.

#9 ·
When you say it 'rattles side to side' do you mean the tension on the belt is changing, or that it starts rattling perpendicular to the belt like the bearing is loose? I can't imagine why the clutch kicking in would cause that. Can you post a video?

#10 · (Edited)
Yeah the tension is changing back and forth, but it's making noise. I'll try to get a video later today

Edit: Okay here's a video of the tensioner, this is at idle in park. It's a bit more wiggly and noisy when in gear but I couldn't video that by myself. Not sure if this looks normal? Maybe I'll try to get someone to hold it in gear while I video that.

https://youtu.be/UnvO_K1aPCE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.