Dakota Durango Forum banner

Stock wiring into a aftermarket wiring harness

39K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Kevin1488 
#1 ·
well short and simple the stock wire colors are different from the aftermarket wiring colors. i've been boggling my head and i cant figure it out. So what ive been doing is a turkey shoot. not everything is all hooked up yet, but i dont want to fuck something up badly or have to re-wire everything 50 different times.

and from the stock unit theres a black connector that says AMP on it that tagged on to the back of the radio i was wondering if that was the ground or not.

im using a Pioneer 4700MP harness.

i could really use the help and i would appreciate it.

if someone has a guide from what wire goes from the truck wires into the wiring harness that would be great.

Thank you!

#2 ·
Get a wiring harness adaptor that plugs into the factory stereo harness. The loose wires coming off of that are color matched to the ones that came with the new headunit. Just splice them together, its that simple.

When you say theirs a wire thats marked AMP on the factory radio, does it have the premium Infinity stereo system?

#3 ·
no it doesnt. that im aware of. its only the 4 speaker system.

and i didnt know i had all those. and i cut those plugs off. I have to hard wire it now. If i knew there were plugs for that, then i would have bought some. I'l get it to work, just a matter of how long its going to take me pretty much.

#4 ·
I guess it'd work out, but its much easier to purchase and use a stereo installation adaptor.

#5 ·
No shit. You really fucked that one up dude. Not to mention the fact that the wiring harnesses make installation a ton easier (I soldered my stereo to harness connections and it still only took 40 minutes for the entire install) you also have to deal with a hard wire if you decide to change deck or have any issues in the future. Best advice I can give is take you time and do clean work. You may be able to use some other form of connector in order to make it a little easier to remove or work on in the future if you do a little searching...

#6 ·
can't knock him too much for not buying the harness. I did the same in when I started installing decks in my vehicles in high school. First time I didn't know, 2nd and 3rd time was because I was cheap and didn't want to spend the extra money on the adapter.

All seriousness though the original poster was looking for help so why not give him some. :huh:

Anyways I'm not sure how to help you finding the speaker wires, you'd have to look and see if there are any markings on the factory deck, or maybe someone cast post a pic of the wiring diagram.. another option would be to buy the adapter and attach it to your already cut off factory plugs. this way you won't need to figure anything out. What Year is your rig?

#7 ·
If he's just looking for speaker wires, pull off the door panel, take out the speaker and take a gander at the wires. Tedious, yes...but effective. Or, once you get the power figured out, turn the radio on and set the balance/fade so you can only hear one speaker at a time and then play the guessing game til you get it right.

#8 ·
just did a quick google and found this, dunno if it'll help or not.

1999 Dodge Durango Car Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Blue
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Red/White
Car Radio Ground Wire: N/A
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Black/Yellow
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Orange
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Green
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Red
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Light Blue
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6 1/2″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Doors
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Blue/Red
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Orange

Reactions: Weaver_99
#12 ·
Crutchfield is nice, but i bought a set of 5 1/4" speakers and tweeters together for $80 to my door on ebay. On there it would have been $100 a piece for each set. Speakers and tweeters.

ill make sure to let you guys know how this goes.

Thanks again.

#13 ·
Yea that may be on some things, depending on how you do your installs. I go through vehicles like a fat kid in a candy store, so when ever I install things I like to make sure I can remove everything and return it to stock. Also in case of accident and vehicle gets totalled it makes it cleaner to remove everything. When comparing prices I look at the total cost of installation gear and components. Yes Ebay is cheaper by $20 or more on a lot of things but if you factor in the installation gear and the amount of time spent during install. Crutchfield is most of the time cheaper.

For Instance, I just purchased a Head Unit for the wife from crutchfield but it would have been cheaper at BestBuy. Since crutchfield gave me the mount, wiring adapter, antennae adapter for free it was a no brainer.

Basically, Just think about what COULD happen and if you are going to want to ever return the vehicle to stock...

#16 ·
O.K now you are dealing with a dummy when it comes to wiring stereo and such. How does this adapter match so readilly to the wiring in the dak :waiting: Like wire colours etc:huh:

#17 ·
It lets you wire your stereo harness to the adapter, and the truck harness plugs into the adapter harness. The adapter harnesses are the cats ass when putting in an aftermarket deck. All the leg work is done - just follow the wiring diagram that comes with the adapter, solder the stereo harness to the adapter harness and plug it in.

#20 ·
i would have just spliced in the piece you cut off back where you cut it so it looked factory & bought the adapter harness & called it a day..i had boguht a monte carlo once that somebody hard wired it in like that..it was a total mess..hooked up direct so i had to disconnect the face plate for it to shut off,only the 2 rear speakers were hooked up.etc...a total damn mess.i just went to the junk yard cut the factory plug off matched the color wires together & bought the harness..it was alot cleaner,& best of all it was properly working with no guess work...anyways thats what i would have done..good luck

#28 ·
What about the dimmer for the stereo? Thw aftermarket adapter has an orange wire for it but the plug from the stereo doesn't have an orange wire. After having a cd (yes, i said a cd) get stuck in the stock unit, bought a cheap dual receiver from someone of FB. Luckily it came out of a similar truck so already had the aftermarket adapter harness and dash kit. Thing is bright at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.