Dakota Durango Forum banner

Headlights Wont Work

13K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TazRango 
#1 ·
1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V8 Magnum

Headlights wont work. Checked all fuses, switch and changed bulbs on both sides. Still no lights. I do have running lights and turn signals.....

I am getting power to the switch...tested that....switch is good too....replaced it and still no change.

I think the problem might be in the column....here is why...The bright lights will work if you hold the switch toward you...but will not remain on by themselves.

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
I just replaced my headlight switch after some similar probs.

Mine would turn off at random times while driving with them on. Something to consider. 20 buck part at advance

#4 · (Edited)
I could've sworn I already posted a reply here... Weird...

If the wire is burned that is a sign of a high resistance connection (not a short) at the multifunction switch. High resistance comes from loose terminals or corrosion.. The 'flash to pass' function runs through a separate set of contacts so it would still work even if the common lead for high /low is malfunctioning.. You will have to take the column apart and see what condition the switch connector and harness are in. More than likely the connector in the switch is melted and you will have to replace it. Your best bet for repairing the harness will be to cut the plug out of a junkyard truck and splice it in.

#6 · (Edited)
That pic is just a tiny bit out of focus.. :D Can't see anything. Use the Macro setting on your camera (the tulip icon) to force the camera to focus on the closeup.

The multifunction switch is basically another name for the turn signal switch. They call it multifunction because it has the turn signals, hazards, high/low beam switch, wiper control, and in older trucks the cruise control. Unfortunately if one function breaks or if the connector burns or melts, the whole switch needs to be replaced.

All I can make out in the picture is a stripped green wire, but it doesn't look burned to me. I also can't tell if that picture is looking up or down the column. You will also need to take the upper cover off the column to access and get a better look at the switch/connector - that will require a Torx T-15 (IIRC) screwdriver. Just remove the 3 screws in the bottom cover and pop the two halves of the cover apart. If it gets stuck on the tilt-wheel lock lever, just unscrew the lever.

If there is burned wiring and melted connectors, it needs to be replaced, no question. The easiest way to do that is to go to a junkyard and cut the identical harness out of a junk truck (the length you will need depends on how far the wiring is burned) and splice it into yours using solder and heat-shrink tubing.

#7 ·
Sorry about the pic. I thought maybe you could see enough. It was a pic of the side of my steering wheel. I have everything taken apart. Since I just bought this truck from a used car dealer I called them up today and are suppose to have it fixed tomorrow. (Hopefully) The wire that you seen was spliced in with another wire into the blue box that connects into the back of the multifunction switch. If they don't fix it...I will be back ;)

Thanks for all your help.
Staci

#8 ·
Any luck?

#9 · (Edited)
Lights are fixed! Was suppose to have it fixed by a mechanic but I am a very impatient person and when the mechanic couldn't fix it by the next day like he said he could because of not being able to find the parts, I started calling around for parts that were new. Found the multifunction switch at Advanced for about $60 and then the tamper torx set was another $33....Called the dealership up and told them the situation they then called in their credit card to Advanced so I could go pick up what I needed to fix the lights.

There was a small wire on the harness that had been soldered on, that came off. I cleaned off all the old solder and soldered a new wire to work with...then a couple wire clamps to fix the wiring problem and the new switch installed and all lights work fine.

I know I will have to find a new wire harness at some point just to make sure it doesn't happen again but for now it is fixed.

Thanks for all your help.

Staci

#10 ·
Good to hear it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.