Dakota Durango Forum banner

K&N air filter : would I gain anything?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  nathanjwtx 
#1 ·
Bit of a noob question but what, if anything, would I gain by fitting a performance air filter to my 01 4.7L Dakota? I'm tempted by replacing the air box with the kit that gives you the "cone" type filter but at roughly $160 I'd like to know the benefits.

#2 ·
The "benefit" of a K&N filter is, it's supposed to be able to flow more air to the engine and therefore increase HP. On a high performance engine, used for competition, the K&N could "outflow" a typical paper element filter. On an everyday driver, on a typical engine, the "high flow" capability of a K&N would be minimal, if not nonexistent. The reason is simple to understand. The filtering media of the K&N is a light gauze that allows more air to flow thru, however most everyday engines are usually running at part throttle. This means there's a throttle plate that used to regulate the amount of air, or blocking some of the air. Running a high flow air filter doesn't really benefit you. Even if you think that you'll get more air at part throttle, you'd only let off a bit more to maintain a given speed. Now, if you were at full throttle, you might just pick up a little bit more top end horsepower, but most daily driven vehicles are rarely at WOT. (or for extended periods of time)

As for maintenance, K&N claims their filters are cleanable and reusable. The filter media requires oil to work, as it's the oil which helps to trap dust. However it has been my experience that the filter media is on the light side and isn't as effective if your vehicle is exposed to dust, wet, or muddy conditions. For an everyday driver, the factory air box works fine, although it is ugly, compared to a cold air kit. You can save the money and just keep what you got. If you want to dress up the engine, there are probably a few nice cold air kits, but I would choose a different brand of filter cone, one that is more durable than the K&N and better suited to an everyday driver

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.