Dakota Durango Forum banner

oil recommendations and questions

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bmaszk13 
#1 ·
hello,
i have a 2000 dodge durango slt plus 4x4 4.7 at 147800 miles. i am wanting to change the oil and it will be the first time i have done on this truck since im not to sure when the previous owner did it, but he used conventional oil. so my questions is should i run full synthetic or high mileage, or stay normal conventional? what brands? for filter and oil? also should i do 5w-30 or 10w-30 i live in the San Diego area. also i believe the 4.7 take about 6 quarts of oil, but couldn't find a definitive answer.
thank you all in advance

#2 ·
The 4.7L is a 6 quart system.....see the owner's manual. Same goes for the 5w-30/10w-30 question. In fact, it might even say it one the filler cap.

I have 173K on my 03 and run Valvoline Max-life (part-synthetic) with a Puralator Oil filter in mine. Been that way since I bought it with 135K on it. No issues to date.

As for a NEED to run full synthetic, I wouldn't say there is a need, it is purely your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.