Dakota Durango Forum banner

Dakota Hemi engine swap kit!

173K views 209 replies 34 participants last post by  chlngr1970 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey, what's up guys I just stumbled onto something, Schumacher Creative Services is getting ready to release their motor mounts and oil pan specifically designed for the 97-2004 Dakota. I spoke with Michael earlier and he said he has all these parts in stock except the pickup tubes, they are on backorder. The cool thing is the parts will be less than $500.00. Michael also informed me that for 97-98 Dakotas, you will need to change the brake booster, booster bracket and pedal to a 99 and later Dakota for Hemi installation. I am starting to feel a lot better about the swap because of these parts. I will just need the wiring harness and Hotwire auto has them available as a plug-and-play set-up!

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I have done a lot of research and after talking to Michael the Hemi will go in the same location as the drivetrain that is in the Dakota that you are swapping out. The harness is plug and play so no worries, basic hand tools, cherry picker and might possibly need to get the driveshaft custom made. You will have two companies that will give you tech support.

#6 ·
Thanks for the heads up! This is definitely worth the price.

I'll just have to see if low pressure on the #8 cyl in my truck is a ring issue or valve issue. If I have to replace the engine, might just be worth going for the swap.

#7 ·
A salvage yard priced me a complete 2006-2008 truck Hemi drivetrain, for $2500 for everything including some exhaust, driveshaft, harness, ECU, and fuel pump. I am getting a little jealous that this won't be my truck, I will probably buy a crew cab Dakota for my self.

#8 ·
Great find on the Schumacher parts. Good with the swap.

#11 ·
I noticed these are for the 2wd dakotas.. Do they make a bracket for the 4wd dakotas? Oil pan clearance should be the same, but the front diff bolts to the motor mounts on the 4wd dakota.

#14 ·
Well just ordered the 99-04 Dakota brake booster with spacer and brake pedal assembly so that the Hemi will fit in the engine compartment, like the one in the picture. I found out last week that 2003-2004 V8 Dakota's have 9.25" 12 bolt rear ends with factory disc brakes and they are fairly easy to locate for around $350!

#16 ·
Do you have your engine yet? I have one from a 2003 Ram with everything including the harness. Also have the VIN as well. Low miles engine has been stored for quite a while. I believe the 2003 has the correct communcation setup for the easier swap. No transmission.

#17 ·
Do yourself a huge favor and match it to a 2004 or later pcm. There is no tuning love for 2003. If you're ok with stock tune forever, no matter what you do, then its ok. But to get to most out of the little mods and the big mods, get a later pcm.

Also, the 2003 to mid 04 engines were known to have weak bottom ends, and valve springs. This was updated mid 04. But all 5.7 motors had weak timing chain tensioners, so its recommended to get the Mopar part for a 6.1 to replace it, they are 30 bucks or so for the tensioner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
I actually have heard a lot of negative stuff about the 03-05 Hemi, I am planning on getting a 06-08 and a 2005 ECU, I would rather have the LX 5.7 but I want nothing to do with the Nag1 because I hate the way my 13 Charger RT shifts. I'm not sure if the LX accessories will work with these motor mounts though but seems tight. The Eagle 5.7 would be really nice but won't run off the 2005 ECU!

#19 ·
I have an 06 hemi in my swap, that had MDS. I just removed the wiring and forgot about it. 5000 miles so far with no problems, and its been driven hard for sure. Eventually I will get the blockoff plates for the solenoids and the standard lifters from a 6.1.. But I really wonder what's the point.

Yea the LX has a weird accessory layout, will make it a pain to run AC lines later on. And about the nag1, it's stronger than the 545rfe, and less parasitic. But you'd need the LX ecm to run it.

I ended up doing the cam, pushrods, springs, timing tensioner, headers, high flow cats, and Efan swap, and it makes about 50whp over the stock hemi. More than the LX eagle motor for minimal effort.

#21 ·
I believe a guy named Bruce here on these forums is using an LX motor, as I remember him having a painted and shaved LX intake manifold.

The difference between the truck and LX motors are the intake manifold, timing cover, exhaust manifold, and most of the accessories.

There is an adapter kit out there from inertia motorsports than lets you use the truck accessories with the 6.1 hemi intake manifold.

#25 ·
The LX alternator and AC compressor are mounted lower which makes it 3-4 inches wider. I'm not sure if that becomes a problem or not. But I do know that the top water pump outlet is on opposite side (passenger side) as the Ram motor (drivers side). So you will need to replace your radiator with one that has top outlet on passenger side. Check out this diagram:
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/hemicarmeasurements.pdf

#27 ·
I have a lead on an 06 as well. I believe it's an LX. Want me to get a price on it?

#28 · (Edited)
You know the crappy thing is the 09 and up Eagle Hemi's are going cheap on Ebay, I guess they just aren't popular, and the problem is they don't communicate with the 2001-2004 gauges. I got the brake booster bracket and spacer in today, now just waiting on the pedal assembly, it should be a lot easier changing the pedal and brake booster with the dash out, the dash was removed to do the power window and locks swap this weekend.

#44 ·
All you need to do is lock out the VVT, Change the intake manifold, I believe it's a Variable runner type, and change the the Reluctor wheel ( toner ring) on crank with the early version. You will need to change the pickups for the sensors too. Cam + Crank position sensor. Matt

#29 ·
we want :gotpix: of progress :D

#31 ·
I got the 2001 brake booster installed today and it does give me a lot more engine clearance with the 3.9 still in the truck. The booster did take a while to installed due to having to elongate the hole in the firewall where it passes through it was clearanced about an inch closer to the drivers side of the truck, and I also had to cut off some material on a bracket that holds the proportioning valve as it was hitting the new booster, which required me to have to remove the left inner fender to access the brackets mounting bolts. I am still waiting on the 2001 Dakota brake assembly. The dash and headliner harness that I removed from a 1999 Dakota was a huge fail as the main plug at the firewall was a little different and pinned different, so I am still looking for a 1997 Dakota that I can remove all the wiring from so we can have power windows and locks, it was very disappointing yesterday as my son and I spent four hours removing the whole interior out of a club cab!

#32 ·
I pulled my 13 Charger RT and Dakota in the Garage this morning and did some measuring, I am now certain that the LX platform Hemi with it's wide accessories will fit, so this is the route I might be going and then use a Durango or Ram transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.