Dakota Durango Forum banner

2001 dakota: no 4wd & no lights on selector??

78K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Cantoo 
#1 ·
hello, I recently bought a 2001 dakota QC. It has the electronic 4wd by switch with the 4.7 v8 but I have a problem...

I bought the truck used from a private lot knowing that the 4wd did not work, says the dealer. The 4wd switch has no lights on at all and when turned to 4hi or 4lo nothing appens or engages. I checked all the fuses that I could that pertained to the 4x4 and they all looked good. I also did the on/off/on/off check and got no codes. And on the dash cluster there is no service 4wd light on either...

Any help on how to fix this and get my 4wd working? Is it a module or maybe just the switch?? THANKS!

#2 ·
Got your e-mail. Not sure what's wrong. Sounds like there is a wire unplugged or cut?

Reactions: jmaack727
#10 ·
Check the wiring above the front driveshaft. Chrysler left too much slack in it and it rubs. Just running a weatherproof splice fixes the problem along with tying it up tighter. If that doesn't fix the problem after fixing the wiring, replace the transfer case control motor on the transfer case. it does jam in one spot and will not rotate causing 4wd all the time.

Brian

#13 ·
This just happened to my friends 01 durango 4.7L 4x4. BUT i took it to a parking lot and when you select 4low/hi it seems to work, just no lights. My dodge mechanic friend said its (i think the same thing phl0ater said) a switch on the transfercase. since in my situation 4x4 seems to still work it may not be worth it to fix.... but still a odd issue. Is that module cheap?

#14 ·
so your transfer case is engaging? Not the same problem i had, my transfer case doesnt do anything when i switch from awd to 4hi or 4 lo, we put it on a lift and checked. just stays in awd. The transfer case control module is not cheap at all. about $400 from the dealer, fairly rare to come across online, havent put forth much effort to find one in a junkyard since awd isnt a bad thing to default to...

#15 ·
Where is the transfer case control module located on these? I had a Blazer and they had problems with the connections corroding/tccm's going bad because of a poor mounting spot. I hated mine but was to cheap to fix it as a new TCCM for a Blazer was 5-600 if I remember right. Mine would change sometimes but not others, it would get stuck in 4wd or awd sometimes and to get it back to 2wd I would have to unplug it.

#17 ·
i thought maybe i took some pics of its location, but i didt.... heres a pic of the TCCM

Copy and pasted from an email i sent to a guy that thought he had one to sell me:

if you pull off the panel under the steering column, on the right, you will see a steel frame, behind that frame is a blue box about 5" long or so with a few plugs in the back of it..... theres 3 screws that are 7mm. you can unscrew it, and wiggle it down and unplug it.

#19 ·
So is there anyway for a dodge dealership to test just the module?

I did a error code check using the ODO button:
key in off position, hold ODO button, turn key to on but do not start car, wait till the odo display shows chek, then let go of odo button. Car goes through some tests and displays a 3 digit code of there is an error. No error there. I do have a cel but thats a p0455 large evap leak Im already aware of. This tccm is kind of expensive so Id like to know if theres a way to test for it to make sure that is the part.

#20 · (Edited)
Will a 2002 tccm work on a 2001? Is it more specific to transmission and engine than year? the junkyard called me back and said they just pulled one but its a year a head....

Ok Just looked at the durango im working on, the tccm was not secured down at all. It was stuffed under the carpet in the center under the dash... If anyone has pic's of where its installed I would appreciate it so I can reinstall it properly.

Number off mine are:
P56028242AF (part number I assume?)

If this matches the one at the junk yard I'm good I think. Junk yard said they pulled it from a 2001, but it had a 2002 tccm installed. Only $60 so not to bad.

#21 ·
well i thought id update this thread with my FIX.... yes, it was the TCCM, and no, i didnt pay full price. Since im resto-moding an early bronco, i needed some 70's ford truck parts and went down to my local pick n pull. Cash for clunkers ut a LOT of durangos in the junkyards, so i called em while i was back there and asked em what the part would cost, they said control modules are $12.95, so i said fuck it, puled it, brought it home. Finally got time to install it, and as soon as i turned the key on, the familiar lights on the selector switch came on and i was able to shift through all gears in the Tcase.

#22 ·
great news then phloater!

Ive been insane sick the last 2 weeks so I havent had time to install the tccm in her durango but I have it. It hasnt snowed bad yet so I havent been too worried but I'll put it in this week for sure and update the thread if it fixed it. couple more CEL's and a water gurgle and I'll finally have the truck fixed. Glad there are forums, they help a ton :)

#24 ·
I installed the new TCCM tonight. Pulled the neg on the battery, unplugged old one, plugged in new one, connected battery and put the key in to on but didnt start the car (inside garage) and the 4wd/2wd lights worked; switched between them and heard the motor so all is well.

Now for those cel's..damn rubber evap hoses..seem ok but on the ends theres some cracking so its probably a crack I cant see...ugh

#28 ·
So once the weather warmed up, the issue went away and its back to working great. When I replaced it the first time, it wasnt secured down and hung down in the foot well. I wonder if moisture is getting in it or something weird. She parks in a garage thats heated...but when this issue happens she is parked outside. Hmm Maybe I'll look and see about moving its location or wrapping it with something so moisture doesnt get in it.

#29 ·
Finally got the 4X4 working on the truck. After reading many forums on my specific issue I've replaced the TCCM, that didn't work. The next step was to replace the CTM, that didn't work. After that was the switch itself, that didn't work. No loose connections anywhere. Turns out it was the fuse. FML. These computerized vehicles are gonna drive me crazy. I still prefer the earlier models.

#30 ·
Posted this in this thread too .
Dakota Durango Forum > Technical Forums > Troubleshooter's Forum > "Service 4WD" fault light

2002 Dak SXT Experiencing the no lights on the 2WD/4WD selector. Cannot engage 4WD. Checked fuse. #8 , in fuse panel,10 amp, not blown. Disconnected battery cables for 20 mins. to reset CTM, no change, all interior and exterior lights, chimes and warnings functioning normally. Pulled CTM connectors to check for corrosion, all nice and clean. So I just ordered a new TCCM , and hoping this will fix the issue. Internet search found module @ $133 + S&H, $50 core charge, decided to go new OEM part. Will post back to let know if problem solved.

#31 ·
Thanks for all who posted in this thread! It helped me isolate the numerous possibilities that this issue can present, got my OEM remanufactured replacement TCCM delivered this weekend, performed the contortionist replacement to its very difficult location under the dash and now have the 4WD back in action! Saved me big time$$$ Thanks again to all who posted here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.