Dakota Durango Forum banner

4x4 Not Working

29K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  babymoore3 
#1 ·
So i have a 2001 dodge dakota quad. electronic shift on the fly transfer case, but nothing works. There are no blinking lights for 2 4 and 4 lo. And it wont shift into any of those either. There also is no 4x4 light coming on in the dash. Its like the whole system is completely dead. Any body have any ideas?

#3 ·
The plug on my old truck that plugs into the dashboard switch was loose from factory on mine. Mine did the same thing after I bought the truck(brand new with 4 miles) Might be something worth checking into. The factory also didn't put all my fuses in either.

#4 ·
done all that. Could the switch be bad because there are no lights? I don't want to take it to the dealership and get charged up the ass to do something i could do myself. I just need to know where to start troubleshooting. Test some shit and what not, i just dont know what to test

#13 · (Edited)
4x4 not working - Verification of TCCM 5V supply

To all who read this forum and want to know the details of getting this 4x4 system working again - I had the same problem - no lights, no 4wd. Went to ALLDATADIY ($25 for year subsubcrition) and got the schematics for my 2001 dakota switch, transfer control module, and others (it was the same as "adnedarn" mentions above.) I had fused power (12V) on #7, illumination on #6 (12V with headlights on) when measuring to pin #11 (ground). If you are missing the voltage on pin #1(5V) then it could be that the transfer case control module is not sending it out. The TCCM has a transformer that sounds like was going out on a lot of Dakatos / Durangos etc (I got it for $75 at salvage yard and about 4 hours of dash disassembly). The TCCM is located behind the climate control modules mounted to sheet metal dash frame by three screws, both my old and new parts are blue plastic and dimensionally a little larger that a credit card - about one inch thick. Very hard to see I might add.

Once you remove all the screws in the area for dash plastic and sheet metal (and just a little force) the module comes out towards firewall without cutting anything, remove three wiring connections ("black 16 pin" "gray 16 pin" "black 4 pin") and plug in the new one.

To be sure it is the transformer check ....

1. Black 4 pin connector A --> B which should be fused power (12V) INTO the TCCM. You should have power. If not, check fuses.

2. Black 16 pin "A1" to ground. This should show a floating voltage when the ignition is on as this is the PCI bus. By tramitting messages and different volumes of messages the voltage will appear to "jump" around. This indicates the TCCM hopefully is reading the PCI bus. If not, the problem may be with data going to the brain box not the box. If so continue.

3. If you want to check that your problem is the TCCM module you can verify this on the gray 12 pin connector. Pins "A8" (yellow and dark blue) and "B8" or (yellow/light blue) to ground both should show 5V as long as Steps one and two above show power INTO TCCM and PCI bus "traffic". No 5V indicates your transformer from 12V to 5V is bad as well in the TCCM. Replace the TCCM (dealer quoted $375 new, salvage yard quoted $75 for used).

I plugged mine in and it works well, best of luck - gotta go put my dash back together!

This was the NV233 transfer case system with 2wd, 4hi, 4lo. The NV244 with Awd, 4hi, 4lo may be similar or may not be. I would recommend the Alldatadiy to get the schematics / diagrams for your vehicle.

#8 ·
I had to buy a Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM) for my 01 Durango because I had the exact same symptoms. No lights, no codes, no shifting, no nothing. For the 01's they don't sell them "new" any longer and they are all refurb units. I recall it costing a lot more than I wanted to pay.

Talk to Danno at Bremerton Dodge. Tell him you're from this forum. He will give you the hook up on pricing, which will be tough for anyone to beat.

Oh yeah.. and mine didn't need to be programmed by the dealer. I replaced it myself in the driveway (colossal pain in the ass to get to) and it's worked great ever since. Just make sure you disconnect your battery before you mess with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.