Dakota Durango Forum banner

New water pump - need to bleed air

951 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Brian L 
#1 ·
I bought a new AC Delco water pump and had a shop install it for me because I didn't want a couple frustrating hours of banging my knuckles on that top of job. Problem is, I suspect I have air somewhere in the line. I pulled the cap off when it was cool to see if he had topped off the coolant, and it was definitely full at the top radiator hose. However, I started the engine, and nothing was flowing through there. I recall seeing it flow right through there when I did a flush once before. I went to loose the bleeder valve, but noticed that he must have stripped that with a screwdriver - I can't get a hex socket in there. I tried a screwdriver like he did, and it won't loosen, so I'm thinking he didn't have the right tool, tried a screwdriver, didn't get it off, and now screwed it all up. So, what I tried next was taking the cap off of my flushing T that I had put over in the input line to the water pump. When I started the engine that time, coolant came spewing out of the open radiator hose. Turned it off, tried again, spewed more out. Capped off that T again, started again, and now of course the coolant wasn't at the top, but I was having trouble telling if it was flowing in there (didn't have a flashlight handy). I was hoping that fixed it, so I poured some distilled water in there to top off what I had lost, and it filled back up to the top to where I could see it wasn't moving again.

My questions are: Is it maybe still flowing, but I just can't see it because it's so full? Did I potentially make it worse my opening the Flush T and maybe adding more air? Is there any other way to bleed the air other than the bleed valve at the top?

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.