Dakota Durango Forum banner

01 durango 5.9 computer issue

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  donram360 
#1 ·
I have swapped computers on older vehicles without complications before but from what I am reading on a 2001, with the VIN actually being programmed into the computer and CTM, I do not think it's as easy as the older ones, right?

Can I go to a junkyard and have my VIN programmed into the junkyard replacement?

Failing that, any reviews on the various computer rebuilders, who is better than who?
I am just looking to get it rebuilt "stock" but with any programming upgrades that Mopar has come up with for it in the last 15 years to be "built in" to the rebuild.

and in case youre asking, I have a Po204 fuel injector driver circuit issue. I have checked the wiring, replaced the pigtail (solder/heat shrink, no Scotchlocks or butt connectors for me) and swapped injectors around among that bank of the engine, plus swapped in 2 other, different injectors (same as stock, I have a couple sets of stock OEM injectors for these particular vehicles laying around) and still same issue on same cylinder.
I take the one from #4 and put it elsewhere and problem remains with #4 , and I cannot believe that 2 other injectors I swapped in are both bad too....
Truck has almost 260,000 on it and I am wanting to swap in a fresh engine (that I have on the stand as we speak) when the need arises since this truck is rust free from the South....
but I want to solve the computer issue while it is on this engine, so as to not complicate matters once I eventually do the swap....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
No, a junkyard will not flash it for you (they can't) - and neither will dealers. Depending on who you ask, the majority consensus is that the VIN is located in a "write once" part of the EEPROM (not changeable once initially programmed), so they can only program a VIN if the memory is blank. The VIN mismatch will cause the BRAKE and Antilock lights to come on (the VIN is stored in the ABS module as well). Even if it does not cause the lights, I've heard of inspection stations failing vehicles where the VIN that the PCM spits out doesn't match the actual VIN.

They also can not change the security flag if it is enabled, so you have to make sure the donor does not have factory security (there's no easy way to tell). As far as I know a dealer CAN reprogram the SKIM module to work with the new PCM if you have gray keys - but you will have to have them install it, since it will not start until reprogrammed. The PCM contains an odometer reading too, but AFAIK a mismatch between the PCM and cluster (where the actual displayed mileage is stored) does not cause problems.

When you buy a remanufactured PCM, they will ask for the mileage, VIN and security status, and program them prior to shipping.

#7 ·
Depending on who you ask, the majority consensus is that the VIN is located in a "write once" part of the EEPROM (not changeable once initially programmed), so they can only program a VIN if the memory is blank.
I'm confused. So are you saying the VIN cannot be reprogrammed or are you saying that it's a line that the guys at the dealer tell you?

#3 ·
No, I was not expecting the junk yard to "do" the reflash for me, not what I was asking. (though might be good info for someone else wondering the same) Only that if I bought a replacement computer at the yard, if "someone" could reflash it to my VIN or if they were a one time deal. Regarding "security" IDK if mine is turned on, though I never see the "SECURITY" icon light up on the dash.

I just do not want to have to be forced to buy my replacement from Dodge itself, that is all (if they even have a PCM available for a 15 year old vehicle anymore, that would be another issue)

I do see some reman's advertised, on Ebay and elsewhere, there is a place that offers a lifetime guarantee that I see on there, they repair your original unit. but in general, if they can only be VIN flashed once, how do they "brainwash" the original VIN out of a computer once programmed? Is there a component inside that must be replaced to do so or do they have a higher level of "security clearance" that even most techs in the field do not to override the original programming?

Among the computer repair/rebuilders, are any of them known to be better at it than the others? Any to strictly avoid?
I hear of a computer exchange place out of Florida but don't know their name. The one that I referenced above with the lifetime guarantee is in southern IL, in the Illinois side of the St Louis suburbs, and are like 1/2 the price of Cardone for example....
now that is one company who, based on my past experience with parts such as reman calipers and steering racks and brake boosters, etc that I do not really trust with a computer.

I have owned this Durango for 3 years now, since it had 214,000 on it, it came from Louisana and isnt rotted out like the rest I see here in the northern IL salt belt... my wife really likes it, it is usually her daily driver and our family "go everywhere" rig. We have been to Texas, Wisconsin, a couple of camping trips to Ohio, and more since owning, and it has been a really good one until this problem came up. I was leery of buying something with the miles it had from the 2 past owners already, but it was priced better than some with 1/2 the miles and 50X the rust.... so I figured that even if it did blow the engine or tranny it would be worth my putting one in, though I am someone that does 100% of the maintenance myself on my vehicles and also on some other peoples' too. I do enough to have justified my own 2 post lift in my home garage.... and have personally never owned anything except for a Dodge or Jeep, in 30+ years of being a licensed driver.... though I do not like any manufacturer's offerings of the past 10 years or so.

#4 ·
ok guys please do not leave me hang here, where is a good place to (reasonably) buy either a plug n play replacement computer for my wife's Durango, (Or to send my box in for repair/rebuild???) who have you had good luck/bad luck from?

#5 ·
Nobody's saying you have to buy it brand new from Dodge, theres just a 'gotcha' when buying a junkyard PCM if IL checks the VIN in the PCM when they do inspection. As far as the VIN, if you buy it from a reputable rebuilder it will be either pre-flashed (along with the odometer and security option) before they ship it, or blank and ready for the dealer to do it. Basically they replace the EEPROM chip with a new blank one as part of the rebuild - something not feasible to do yourself because the circuit board is coated in potting goop.

I can't give a recommendation on where to buy because I've never had to replace one yet.

#6 ·
parts of IL do have emissions testing but not where I live... so if that's the only "gotcha" then I (can) use a junkyard or other used computer, as plug n play???? Right now I want to get past this issue and get this engine running as right as a 258.000 mile 360 can run? (compression is even across all cylinders, ran smooth with plenty of power before this computer problem showed up)

I do plan on keeping this Durango for alot more miles, I do not care about "book value" it is worth more than that to me to have a durable dependable (which it has been for the last 45,000 miles til now) vehicle (that my wife picked out and still likes...)
than it would be to buy another that I don't know the history of and have to start all over with in terms of catching up on a past owner's neglect.... as long as the body stays as nice as it is now..... it has only seen 3 Midwest winters, only 1 of which was "bad" with ice/snow/salt etc.....

#8 ·
There are "secure" EEPROMs that have a write-once area of memory (once written, a fuse blows and you can't write there again).

What you do to repair that is to replace the EEPROM.

(Others can be set with special flags or by conditioning control lines, which is not done in the unit they're installed in, making that area effectively write-once).

So - do I know how it is? No, but that's how !I! would do it!

(Or a separate fuse-link PROM for the VIN, or something like that.)

Well, to be honest, no, I wouldn't. I don't personally care for the lock-to-a-VIN mentality. But eh.

RwP

#9 ·
computer is off for repairs, talked to the guy in tech and he said that the EEPROM doesnt need to be touched in most instances....
hafta wait and see what happens when it returns.... gotta push it out of the garage so I can use my lift this weekend, got shocks_+ sway bar links to do on my 92 Dakota and P/S lines to do on a Shivvy Trailblazer (my son's girlfriend's, piece o' junk)

#10 ·
ok I got a call from the rebuilder today/ it is done and on its way back to me. Supposedly they did have to replace the injector driver for #4 injector and they said the EEPROM needed to be resoldered as it had become loose.... we'll see once the big brown truck brings it back to me.

#11 ·
OK; long overdue update, wound up finding out for myself again.. I had sent my original computer out for repairs. Got it back, reinstalled, worked fine for a (short) while, then started having injector driver issues on other cylinders. so I found one at a junkyard via car-part.com. I bought it Monday and had it yesterday. I installed it and got bitten by the goddam SKIM BS. start and die. start and die. repeat. why couldn't they have left things well enough alone? I had the same issue (injector driver code) on my 92 Dakota when I brought it home. I plugged in the computer from my 93 Dakota and it still runs fine 14K (and counting) miles later. No reprogramming necessary. SKIM = needless aggravation, frustration and added expense, and additional down time while I ship the damn thing off and wait for somebody else to reprogram it for me so that I can tell if it will even work!

#13 ·
It is boxed up, my wife is gonna take it to the UPS store for me tomorrow, I have already got someone that is gonna reprogram it for me. IDK yet what it will cost.... yikes. if it were like the older ones, this wouldn't be necessary.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.