Dakota Durango Forum banner

Kipper's thread.

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  JRC99 
#1 ·
Well, some of you have seen my introduction thread, but I figured a project thread is in order. Updates will be very sporadic, as I'm a 16 year old with a 16 year old's budget (Read: Broke as hell), but this way it's dedicated to the truck, not introducing myself. Still has 267,194 miles, since I STILL don't have my license. I did find cab corner rot recently. Lovely. %&*#$^! road salt.

Like I said in another thread, the grille, bezels, and bumpers have been painted silver. Looks much better in my opinion.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Long time since I updated it. I went a little crazy with spray paint and rattlecanned the fender and center caps. Turned 17 on Saturday and got a kickass Pioneer stereo. I'll upload a pic if I can get it to work. Also went to a junkyard and picked up a headliner and a door handle bezel. I plan on recovering the headliner in Black, so it's just sitting in the garage for now.

Old radio. It was from 2005 and had no aux cord or audio jack. It sounded pretty good though.

New one. I said the old one sounded good, but this one's just amazing. And I get to choose the song I listen to now, always an upgrade.

#5 ·
Looks good, glad to see some young guys still really care about these old trucks, that being said I'm only 24 but still lol

#7 ·
Well, this is a hell of a way to say "Welcome to being an adult"

Took Kipper to the shop to have the front end looked at, and.... pretty much the entire front end needs to be redone. Tie rod ends, control arms, balljoints, Dad doesn’t remember the rest..... (I took a nap when we got home, and we told them to call him). The price? $667! The TRUCK WAS $1400!

I still love the truck, and it is a joy to drive. Just, ouch. Especially at 17.

#8 ·
RockAuto and Ebay the parts, that will save you a ton! Take the time, do it yourself and learn a little in the process. Make a nice project out of it. That will also save you a ton. Lastly, you'll need an alignment. Cant really do that yourself so expect around $100.

If you replace the upper and/or lower control arms, they usually come with new ball joints and bushings. which is usually cheaper to replace the whole thing than just ball joints/new bushings.

#10 ·
I got a headliner and carpet for Christmas. So when it warms up, I'll be tearing the majority of the interior out of it. Have to replace the seat belts, and when I do that, I'll probably dye the plastics in the interior black. Another thing I want to do is swap the driver's side seat with a pass. side, since it's a 60/40 seat and I want buckets. I also still have to do the shocks.

#11 ·
Wow. Been a while since I updated this. Plans for now are to fix the bedsides (since patches are only $80) and paint it semigloss black. I'm no longer dying the interior black. I just don't have the patience to tear it all apart, clean, and then dye it all. I'd rather patch the exterior, sand, and just paint over it for now. Half ass? Kinda, yeah, but anything's better than how it looks now.

#15 ·
I still plan to fix the frame, or have a shop do it if I can find one. And I made BIG progress on bodywork. Sort of. It's not ON the truck yet.

Yes, it's a Shelby bed. Got it, the tailgate, tail lights, side Shelby pieces (top was gone), all four fender flares (which I won't be using on this bed. Might toss them on the old one until I can swap 'em out), and the filler neck all for $150.

Gonna look a hell of a lot better than THIS

I'm currently in the process of replacing the water pump. Also have motor mounts, thermostat housing, power steering pressure hose, fan clutch, and serpentine belt coming.

Last but not least, I've got a brand new chrome front bumper sitting in my basement right now, waiting for it to be warm enough to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.