Dakota Durango Forum banner

Stuttering and loss of power

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  redbravo 
#1 ·
Bought my 1999 Dakota with 5.2 for a work truck. It has 170000 miles. Had an issue with turn signal wiring being pinched under the gas tank that has been fixed. I have replace the map, IAC, and the throttle control module. It recently started sputtering sounding like its missing. Also when problem occurs it idles like I put a cam in it. I took it to auto zone to have pcm scanned and I was amazed by the amount of error codes they found as follows: -P1297 no change in map signal -P0201 through P0208 fuel injector control circuit malfunction -P0505 Idle air control motor circuit malfunction -P0132 HO2S 11 (bank 1 sensor 1) signal shorted to voltage -P0138 HO2S 12 (bank 1 sensor 2) signal shorted to voltage -P1296 5 volt VREF supply is missing. No idea where to go from here. I've read about the pcm issues everyone has with this model year but it's not quite like my issue. Before I dump any more money in on this truck I need some advice

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome! :wave:

"Throttle control module"... You mean the throttle position sensor (TPS)?

First off I recommend you go buy your own code reader. Doesn't need to be a fancy one, just something so you can do some elimination tests without having to go into AZ 20 times. Unfortunately that is something you pretty much must own with a 98/99 because those years don't have the "key trick" self-diagnostic feature for some unknown reason.

The "missing 5v" and MAP codes point to a possibly defective MAP. I know you already replaced it but it's possible the new one is defective/shorted internally. Check the connector to make sure it isn't corroded, or that you didn't bend a pin on the sensor when you plugged it in.

The TPS and MAP share a 5v line with 3 other sensors (crank position, cam position, and trans governor pressure), and if there was a problem with the 5v output on the PCM or it was shorted you'd get codes for all of them (or the odometer would say "n0 bu5") and the engine wouldn't run.

The IAC just has four lines running straight back to the PCM. It is unrelated to the MAP and TPS and shares no common circuits. Again, unplug the connector, make sure it is not corroded, and that you didn't bend any pins on the motor.

The fuel injectors and O2 sensors all run off the same circuit, drawing power through the ASD relay and fuse. Swap the relay with another (like fog lights, headlights, or trailer) and replace the fuse. It's possible the circuit is intermittently losing power due to a failing relay or broken fuse.

Once done, pull the negative battery cable for a few minutes to reset the PCM, then see if the stuttering persists and codes come back. Keep in mind, resetting the PCM erases "learned values" and it has to re-learn them, so it may run odd for a few hundred miles anyway - but it should not be missing or stuttering.

#4 ·
So I have checked the MAP and TPS for voltage everything seems fine with wiring. The problem still occurs so randomly it doesn't make sense. Also the check engine light doesn't come on. It happens out of nowhere and it seems like the lag point is around 2,000 RPM. If I punch the gas while it's doing this it pushes past it but the truck looks like something scary coming down the road haha. Any other issue it could be. I was thinking about checking to see if the cat was clogged because the previous owner f'd the stock exhaust all up. Has the manifolds coming to one pipe and the right manifold connection between the y pipe is a bit janky looking definitely not a pro job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.