Dakota Durango Forum banner

[QUICK TIP] Enable/Disable horn chirp on RKE lock

26K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  carsteynf 
#1 ·
This is the procedure for enabling/disabling the horn chirp when you press the lock button on the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter.

1. Enter vehicle, close all doors, and fasten seatbelt (to avoid unwanted chimes)
2. Place key in ignition and turn to ON (do not start)
3. Press and hold UNLOCK button on the transmitter for five seconds
4. While still holding UNLOCK, press the LOCK button on the transmitter for one second then release both buttons.
5. You will hear a single chime indicating programming is complete.

This is a toggling option. To change it back, simply repeat the process.

#4 ·
It should be 97-03 Durango/04 Dakota. It's the same in the 99, 00, and 02 manuals, so I assume it carries through the entire generation. The manuals I have for 04 Durango and 05 Dakota have the same procedure except you hold Lock then press Panic.. See if that works.

#6 ·
According to the manual in my 03,
1. Enter vehicle and close doors.
2. Fasten seat belt
3. Place key in ignition
4. Turn ignition to the on position (do not start)
5. Press and hold the LOCK button.
6. After holding the LOCK button for 4 seconds, also press the PANIC button within 6 seconds.
7. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons.
8. Turn ignition off to test.
9. To reactivate this feature, repeat above steps.

Just tried this in my truck and it worked.

#8 ·
05/25/2015: This works on my 2000 Dakota Sport quad cab; over any other instructions I found on the internet or YouTube. I appreciate the information. This was not in my Owners Manual. The instructs for programming extra key fobs WAS in the O/M and worked well. THANKS for saving me $110. (at MY Dodge dealership)...outrageous!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.