Dakota Durango Forum banner

"Service 4WD" fault light

127K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  JAT3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is on a 2001 quad cab that is a 4x4 4.7L with 46,000 mi.

It started a couple of weeks ago when the "service 4WD" cluster light would flash on and a chime tone would follow right after start up. Sometimes I would drive 30ft. then the service light would reset and the auto locks would fire. Sometimes I could drive for 15 minutes down the road at moderate speeds before the light would reset and locks fire. Tonight on the way home from work the fault light came on and stayed on the whole way.

Tried to read codes but had none at either the trans or motor location (Auto X-ray handheld). Nothing under "pending codes" either.

The service manual states the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) develops this fault whenever a transfer case circuit or component has failed.

I guess the codes are not accessible with after-market devices.
Would some type of speed sensor be suspected given the auto-locking behaviour? Just looking to learn about this control.

#2 ·
Have you had the dash apart at all to change anything? I've had it come on a few times when swapping radios, like having the dash off but turning on the ignition to check the radio, and if that plug on back is off it will trigger the light. May want to just start there and make sure the harness isnt loose or anything. Just an idea.

#3 ·
I didn't have anything apart lately but I'll look under and around the dash to see if anything did get bumped or pulled. I did have a front end alignment done a couple of days before this acted up. Looked under the truck around the transfer case and could not see anything obvious there.

#4 ·
it may be a factory indicator which may tell you that u need to bring in youre truck for maintenance, some tims the computer over rides it but in some trucks it does not other wise you either have a short, loose wire or a faulty sensor or maybe you could have used the 4wd incorrectly and fucked something up,(not implying anything by that) but any of these are possible.

#5 ·
Service 4wd light - update

Had the Dak at the dealer today.

I asked if this problem was the following TSB: Chrysler TSB 08-032-00 Revision A (see post - http://dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39399

They said it was the 2wd/4wd switch.

We'll see, switch is due Monday.

What I have noticed is that when the cab is real warm this fault light will turn on and stay on for quite a while. If it is cool, as in early morning starts, that is when the fault will be on for only a short period of time. Interesting

#6 ·
Sounds like a Central Timer Module (CTM) issue to me. See the post I did this AM on CTM/Preprograming Key Fobs. I had the "service 4 wheel drive" plus more issues but it only occured when the truck had been sitting in the sun all day and the cab was hot and I then turned the lights on for awhile. I bought the CTM at a local dealer, list price was $240 and with discount it was $156. I still need to reprogram the Keyless Entry Fobs. Hope this helps. ...ron

#7 ·
Thanks Ron,

I will definately keep this in mind. I really didn't care for the solution they came up with but figured I'd go with their first try at it. Switch came in, I'll update when the repair is complete.

#10 ·
It's been two years without issue so far. We had one pretty hot summer this year too. Didn't have the problem return Hope yours works out. There are a few other threads with other solutions to this kind of problem you should search and take a look at. Hopefully there is an answer on the site for yours.

#12 ·
Hello New guy here,
Just wanted to give a big thanks to Two-Daks.
My 2001 Dakota had started doing all the same things. Service 4wd light, No lights on 4wd switch. Also had a few other warnings popping up. Door ajar, Check gauges, Airbag. Plus my auto locks didnt work, or would final lock after driving 10 miles or so. I first tried replacing the TCCM. Found a used on from Tennessee for $65.00. That didnt fix anything. Just today went and got a used CTM from a local wrecking yard ($75.00). Its from a 2003 Dakota. Plugged in the new CTM and all is better. I HAVE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AGAIN !! My key fobs dont work, but thats ok. Bring on the snow here in the Northwest. Thanks again, this forum really saved me some money and headaches at the dealership.

#14 ·
Hi All,

We have a 2004 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi (I believe, it is the wifes vehicle)

Anyway she said recently it was having trouble pulling into parking spaces at idle speeds. It also was making a mysterious clicking noise (kinda like the door lock sound) when it was off. I heard it once when my daughter opened a door as we were getting in.

We took it in to an independent mech we trust and have had good luck with. they said a ball joint was loose (I think, that or a bushing) they replaced it it seemed tighter but she said it didn't fix the issue. They had no solution for the clicking. I don't drive very far and I have not noticed any issues when I drive it other than it is not at all like my sedan.

Then last Sunday she was driving home and the service 4WD light came on and off.
I took it over to the mech yesterday and had them read the codes. They said there were the following: C1404 C1405 P0585 B223D B210D B1BA6 B108F
At 1st I stressed that we would have to replace the transfer case then I found this thread!

During the summer I also had Keybob issues, I don't use mine very often and I though the battery died so I replaced it. I have been using the truck this week and noticed that my fob does not work at all.

Sounds like it is this CTM that is the culprit. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences! Now when I take it in I can have them trouble shoot from the CTM 1st and hopefully resolve this in one visit.

#15 ·
Update

We took the Durango to an independent shop we trust, they spent a couple days looking at it and they wanted to swap out the Transfer case. I didn't think it was the transfer case. They said it could also be a computer or fuse box, or the transfer case actuator. They said they wouldn't know what to replace until something actually failed.

My brother in-law suggested taking it to the dealer because they can talk to dodge and plus they may have experienced the issue before. I am not a fan of dealers but we did and I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful they were. The dealer had it 2 days and elimated the electronic's, they went back and forth with Dodge and Dodge told them to replace the transfer case actuator which was $1500. They had to drop the transfer case to swap out the actuator.

They weren't able to get it to shift into 4 low since and my wife said that she can make tight turns with ease again.

It has only been 4 days but I think this is resolved.

good luck to anyone with the same issue it is painful to troubleshoot and then make a choice as far as what to replace.

#16 ·
Man I tell you what a pain in the ass. Dealing with this myself but having other issues atop it and want to know if all could be related. It is a 2002 durango with 4.7 and I wanna say a nv244 (2wd/4wd lock switch)

First bad batterey so installed new, couple weeks later find 4wd not working, no lights and no 4wd etc as everyone, then as well kept getting a buzzing sound, (like leaving lights on buzzer), but it was irrectic and it would cause the dome lights to flicker as well as dash lights. So I started to investigate and found the 4x4 fuse (20amp under hood) so went to replace it and it blows soon as I install it. So after reading some more I unplug things at a time to see if can't maybe narrow down the area of the problem, so unplugged actuator first to no avail, left unplugged and un plugged the dash switch, still blow fuse as I install one after each thing I tried. So then plugged the 2 things back and check the harness wires by tc and underdash. Found the blue box and unplugged that and installed a fuse and it didn't blow. So thinking that may be the issue after reading a few threads on here. So put it all back together so woman could drive it tomorrow yet, while I track down another blue box. But once it all back together it doesn't want to start and gages aren't reading right on dash and it cranks bu5t dosent turn over and a few times it tried it quit as if no gas. Auto shutdown from unplugging blue box maybe?
Any help to get me in a general direction be great. I'm a jeep guy and the woman loves her durango so guess I ll be on here some more. :) hopefully more for upgrades then this shit.

#18 ·
2002 Dak SXT Experiencing the no lights on the 2WD/4WD selector. Cannot engage 4WD. Checked fuse. #8 , in fuse panel,10 amp, not blown. Disconnected battery cables for 20 mins. to reset CTM, no change, all interior and exterior lights, chimes and warnings functioning normally. Pulled CTM connectors to check for corrosion, all nice and clean. So I just ordered a new TCCM , and hoping this will fix the issue. Internet search found module @ $133 + S&H, $50 core charge, decided to go new OEM part. Will post back to let know if problem solved.

#19 ·
04 Dak 4X4 Service Light

I have been reading threads here about problems with service 4X4 light. Mine has come on a few times But tonight it really did some weird stuff. I went to wally world earlier tonight, it's about 8mi from home. As I'm pulling in the service 4 wheel drive light came on again. Has not come on for awhile till now. I went to park and as I'm pulling into a parking space my truck stalled. I looked down and the light for 4HI was blinking and the selector was still on 2wd. I switched it to 4HI and nothing, still blinked. Tried 4LO and 4HI kept blinking. Put it back on 2wd and started engine, my ass end was still in the lane, went to pull truck up into the space to finish parking it and as I let out the clutch it died again. I restarted it gave it some gas and let the clutch out. It barely moved, it acted like the brakes were on or the tranny was binding. I got it parked and shut it off for a few moments, put it in neutral and restarted it. The service light was off, the green light for 2wd was on. Ran it through the settings on the 4 wheel drive selector heard it lock in for each one, put it back in 2wd popped it in first gear it still acted bound up. I said to hell with it and did my shopping. When I got back it was still the same but I tried reverse and it was fine (go figure!).I shut it down called my insurance company for a tow home, I had a half hour wait. Told the tow driver what happened he backed my truck out to line it up with his flatbed and told me it seemed to be fine. He then suggested I drive it around the parking lot and check it out and if I wanted just drive it home. I checked it out, everything was back to normal. That saved me $50. Insurance would only pay for 3mi (distance to nearest dealer). I drove it home without a problem. Been online ever since looking into this. My brain is beat, any ideas on this one CMT or what???

#20 ·
@ Dak '04' Your issues are completely different than what I was experiencing, I never got any service 4WD light or any of the weird behavior you were experiencing, I just had no lights on for the selector switch or functionality of any kind. I'm just a novice that uses the forum here to find out as much info as possible, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, but my guess is since you have the selector with power, lights and functionality, basically still operational but having all the weird behaviors I would look more towards the CTM as the possible issue than the TCCM. (transfer case control module).

#23 ·
02 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 5.9 4wd

Had same issues:
Started with door locks not engaging automatically at 15mph.
Security light on dash.
Then Service 4wd light came on with no lights on 2wd 4wd hi lo selector.

Service shop wanted $200 for a transfer case module (new) and $200 for a Central Timer Module (CTM) plus an hour of labor and $100 for programming.

After reading numerous threads, I went to the junkyard and pulled a used CTM from a 01 Durango with similar option package. I believe any Dakotas and Durangos from 2000-2004 are almost the same. I made sure the model number was close and that the last letters (mine was AG) were the same, or later down the alphabet as suggested from a previous post. The CTM from the junk Durango ended in AG.

Went home, disconnected the negative post of the battery, plugged the 3 corresponding electrical harnesses into the proper sockets on the "new" junk CTM. Reconnected negative battery post. Hoped for the best. Fired her up and waited.

No "security" light, no "service 4wd" light. Went for a test drive for a few miles. Doors locked at 15mph, parked it, engaged 4wd HI which now had illuminated selectors. Drove again in 4HI for a few miles, no problems. Even my driver side master lock/unlock switch works now as never did before. Wipers, headlights, parking lights, interior lights all working as normal.

Removed the old CTM with a 5/16 nut driver, and secured the replacement in its place with the same 3 bolts. Put the trim cover and door threshold back into place and poured myself a Jack and Coke and celebrated victory.

$30 cost with a little help from these threads is way better than $700 down the drain. Needless to say, it didn't even need a new transfer case module like the shop recommended.

Only downside is that the remote key fob to lock and unlock the doors no longer communicates, but I believe there's a way around that too, but for now, I'm happy to have 4wd back with winter approaching and no warning lights on the dash.

Thanks to all the posts. I couldn't have done it without your help.
Cheers!

But, just in case, I'll keep the old CTM in the vehicle, as backup in case this one goes nuts for some reason. But I'll have to go back to the security light and no 4wd.

Until then. Motor on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.