Dakota Durango Forum banner

Shift cable adjustment trouble

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DakotaJP 
#1 ·
I have an 01Dakota Quad Cab with the 3.9 and automatic transmission, which blew up a couple months back. I swapped in a junkyard transmission, so good so far, but now I'm stuck trying to get the shift cable set right. With the adjustment lock tab pulled out, the eyelet on the cable is 1/4 in short of the pin it needs to engage on the tranny.
I don't understand how it could be too short, when I swapped in the same transmission. The only possibility I've come up with is that the new transmission is from a 2003 I believe, maybe something small was changed? Anybody have any ideas? I think modifying the bracket on the tranny would fix the issue

#2 ·
Fixed the issue by cutting the mounting bracket on the transmission in half, moving part of it out 3/8 in. and welding together again. Truck shifts fine now. Still no idea why the cable wouldn't reach. Thankfully I have two of those brackets, so I can always put the original-size one back in if necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.