Dakota Durango Forum banner

Idle at Park and neutral

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Hellcat1983 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 4.7 dodge dakota, I'm just wondering what the idle in park and neutral is suppose to be at because my truck runs at 1000 to 1100 at idle and neutral, but when shifted into drive or reverse it idles a 600 to 700. I have replaced spark plugs, new tps, new IAC, and fixed checked all the vacum lines all around the truck and replaced all of them that had a leak, which was the main one everyone has at the evap canister. I have a bosch 1150 obd reader, and hasn't thrown a code since replacing all the parts but idle at park don't seem right to me. thanks for the help if any

#2 ·
Welcome! :wave:

Normal idle is supposed to be 650, "fast idle" (when the A/C is on) is supposed to be 750 - regardless of the gear position. Given what you've replaced already, I'd say your MAP sensor is the likely culprit - the diaphragm could've ruptured causing it to have an internal vacuum leak.

Is it showing any performance/driveability issues? Hesitation, lack of power, rough idle in gear, high fuel consumption (that could be bad O2 sensors also)?

Also try clamping off/plugging the line to the brake booster and see if it goes back to normal. Those have also been known to rupture causing idle issues.

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, the truck doesn't have any hesitation or drives rough just idles high in park and neutral, I'm in school till 10 o'clock tonight so i will check the brake vacuum line tomorrow, and if not that change MAP sensor if it isn't that. inform what the results are tomorrow thank you

#4 ·
Okay after check the brake booster today it isn't it so I'm guessing its the MAP sensor, and today when i drove to school I got the IAC code P1294 So I guess i either have a another emissions Leak some place that i didn't find but still truck still idles at 900 to 1100 in drive and park but idles at 600 to 700 in drive and reverse, another funny thing is that when i turn on the AC in park it idles at 700 to 800. hope this helps figure something else out if i can't find it by the first i'm going to just take it in for a smoke test at the first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.