Dakota Durango Forum banner

Fast turn signal

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Burned 
#1 ·
2002 Dakota with fast blinking left turn signal. The front is flashing, the back bulb is not. I have swapped the working side socket to the non working side and it still will not light up.

So far I have swapped bulbs, tested the bulb with a meter, swapped the working socket to the non working side, checked for power at the socket.

What do I need to check next? Is there a fuse, or relay just for the rear?
Should I bother checking the front?

#2 ·
The voltage is low on the green wire to the socket. I am going to probe the wire harness rear to front and see if I can get power along the way. Hopefully I can find a break or bad connection.

#5 ·
I am not getting any power on the green/red wire.
I am going to pull the flasher relay and go over the PCB solder joints and clean the relays contacts.
Do you have any other suggestions?

#7 ·
If it's a factory tow package, then it won't be spliced in by the tail lights - which considering he said the green/red wire is dead is probably the case.. Also, the combination flasher in an 02 has separate outputs for front and rear, so the front working means nothing.
@Burned - you most likely will not be able to repair the flasher. It's a solid state unit that basically just contains a relay to make it 'click'. Does the left brake light come on?

#8 · (Edited)
Didn't understand why I needed to pull the trailer harness. Anyway only the red and red/white have power there.

I did some testing of the combination flasher unit. All the diodes are fine, transistor is not shorted/open, no burned components, the 3 relays are moving fine. I may still pull it and re flow the solder joints, clean the relay contacts with cleaner and test the ESR of the capacitor.

Brake light and turn signal on the rear drivers side is not working. All other lights work.

#9 ·
Fixed!

For others that may encounter this problem. The problem was with the combination unit. The combination unit is a dual layer PCB. The relays have 3 points that need to make contact with the top layer of the board. Those contacts were not there on my unit. It looks like it was a bad solder job to start with and over time the non lead solder broke away. I re-flowed those contacts to the board with 60/40 lead solder.

If you have the time and equipment most anything can be fixed. :wink:

#10 ·
Well that's good news! Since you've obviously got electronics experience, is there any chance you can pick over it and see if there's any simple modification you can do to completely disable the hyper-flash (for those who want to switch to LEDs so they don't have to use resistors)?

#12 ·
If I was to modify the one I have with a load resistor it would not work for other flashers. I pulled an extra flasher from the wrecker and it is very different inside. It seems they revised the design thru the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.