Dakota Durango Forum banner

Durango towing power

10K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  cbr600rx7 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2000 4.7 durango and am looking at getting a boat how much can they tow?

#2 ·
Depends on the rear axle ratio, if you have the towing package (includes a transmission cooler). If you have the 3.55 axle your max is 4,750lbs, with the 3.92 axle ratio the max is 6,050lbs. These machines can tow more than what is rated but it's not recommended as the DOT can get you if you get into a collision even if you didn't cause it but were found to be running over GCWR (gross combined weight rating, vehicle + payload + trailer). That's 2wd ratings. 4wd ratings for the 4.7 drops to 4450lbs with the 3.55, and 5750lbs with the 3.92 axle.

Hope that helps.

#4 ·
Power is not going to be the issue, The 4.7 makes plenty of hp/tq to move just about what ever you need. Controlling the load and staying legal is going to be what limits you.

Think about it for a second. 25 years ago we considered the ford 300 at 145hp enough engine to put in a 1 ton truck. And it was a hell of a engine that did every thing you could ever ask it to. Same thing could be said about the old carbureted 318s making 160hp at times. The only difference is now we feel like we need to go 75mph on the interstate and keep up with 3000lb cars going from stop light to stop light.

#7 ·
Think about it for a second. 25 years ago we considered the ford 300 at 145hp enough engine to put in a 1 ton truck. And it was a hell of a engine that did every thing you could ever ask it to. Same thing could be said about the old carbureted 318s making 160hp at times. The only difference is now we feel like we need to go 75mph on the interstate and keep up with 3000lb cars going from stop light to stop light.
Give that man a cigar!

In other news, lookup the specs straight from Dodge..
http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/home.html

#5 ·
I bought my '02 Dango w/ 4.7L, solely for the purpose of pulling my boat. Fully loaded with gear, fuel and trailer, my boat weighs close to 3,000 lbs. I have never had any issues pulling the boat power-wise. Before I get the boat out for next year, I do intend to upgrade my brakes in some way. I barely even know the boat is behind me when moving, but the only areas I feel it could improve is when braking.

#9 ·
You will need to get your VIN and contact Dodge for the build sheet readout. That will tell you what your Durango was equipped with and what it will pull.

#14 ·
my issues towing with Dakotas and Durangos has had nothing to do with having sufficient power; it has had to do with these trucks not having enough "ass" to tow, I have had tow loads push me around with these vehicles, loads that wouldn't faze an 80s full size 1/2 ton that BTW had a lower tow rating and less engine "balls" and HP/torque it has to do with weight distribution and the wider stance of the full sized truck.

#15 ·
I agree. And that's where you find the limits of the platform. A 18 foot 2 axle trailer with 3500lbs on it for a combined weight of around 5000lbs is very safe if properly set up.

However I feel like this is about the limit. Others may disagree but it's my personal take.

#16 · (Edited)

Mine didn't have any issues pulling this (aside from the ass being a little low but they're 15 year old stock springs with no helpers). The combo was just a hair under 6,000 lbs (2,200 for the trailer, 3,700 for the car). I didn't even have to turn the overdrive off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.