Dakota Durango Forum banner

transmission flush or drain old oil and replace filter

24K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  txlen 
#1 ·
Just wondering......why get a transmission flush? whats the diffenernce to just drop the pan and replace the filter and oil?

I have not owned this truck since new and i was curios if i should get it flashed or just change the oil and filter:huh:

#2 ·
just dropping the pan, and changing the filter does not get all the fluid out of it. there is alot left in the converter. a reverse flush will take 95-100% of the old fluid out. then you can go about a new filter and new fluid. recommend mobil1 atf+4 or castrol i foget who makes it though, its in a blue container. id also suggest a deep trans pan, and get a cooler put in too.

how many miles are on the truck? after you do this (if you decide too), then i wouldnt do it again for say another 50K. this helps keeps the internals as sanitary as can be.

#5 ·
The band adjustment isn't recommended by Dodge anymore. Why I don't know. Probably from too many quick lube places screwing up the adjustment.

If you don't know the history of the trans or how old the fluid is, then I suggest a complete flush, and then get the filter changed. Check with the shop doing the work. Some shops don't change the filter when they flush the trans.

#7 ·
I would assume that the QC has a 4.7 and hence no bands to adjust. I had mine flushed when I got it because I didn't know the maintenance previously done. If you drop the pan and change the fluid every 20,000 or so it should be fine. By the way, when they flushed mine they did not open anything so the filters were not changed. I dropped the pan and changed both filters at the end of the towing season to be sure.

#11 ·
It's not a bad thing to have them adjusted. Just like the shoes on your brakes, the lining on the bands wear out over time. The adjustment was supposed to keep them at the proper setting for good shifts. Like i said, not sure why Dodge took it out of the servicing procedures. The only thing I could think of was too many quick lube places doing it wrong and screwing stuff up. If you take it to the dealer and ask them, they may or may not do it. But if I was going to have it done, I would want the dealer to do it.

#12 ·
i know mine needs done. i have a slight run-away condition at a certain throttle position in second to third. dont like the shifts at all though imo in my truck. little too lazy between shifts

#15 ·
Let me guess. Somewhere between 3/4 and not quite full throttle it will seem like it tries to shift, and then drops into neutral or maybe back into 1st unless you back out of it?? Mine does the same thing. Easy fix. WOT all the time during acceleration. :drive::mullet: Or I just don't go past 1/2 throttle when speeding up. Lately for me, it's been keep it under 1/2 throttle because for some reason my torque converter doesn't like to lock up at all if I go WOT until I get to the speed limit.

As far as the lazy between shifts, I have a shift kit in mine, plus I tweaked on the TV cable to get them where I want. I highly recommend a shift kit to help extend the life of the trans. If installed properly, there will be less slipping between shifts which also means less wear on the bands.

#20 ·
Ask what is used for fluid. Most shops/flushes use regular ATF with an additive package. The dealer should be using the real deal, ATF+4.

#24 ·
When we do a flush the machine hold 16 qts of fluid, and it actually goes over and does more than is needed by the extra so ya get bit more bang for yer buck when ya do a flush it goes into recirc once the machine has emptyed of new fluid so all 16 qts goes thru the trans...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.