Dakota Durango Forum banner

Manual transmission swap

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  1997Dakota318 
#1 ·
I am aware of the kiesler kit and it's expensive and rare nature. Having said that I have absolutely no desire, nor the budget for a kiesler. What are the other options as far as manual tranny's go. I already have a 5-speed 318 truck and I am wondering what options are out there since there is little info on this subject. Has anyone put a gen 4 6-speed in their gen 3? What manual trasmissions are compatible? Are there any kits to adapt other styles of transmissions? I need to try to keep this all under $1500 for parts and supplies, labor is not going to be a cost since my father, grandfather, and I will be attempting this if I can get more info. I like the way the nv3500 tows (it feels like I could pull a house off the foundation in 1st--but 1st quicly achieves redline) but I only ever really pull my 10 foot pop up and when in transport a 6th gear would help my mileage alot, so it is worth the investment if I can save gas and hopefully get something with slightly taller gears, if not 6th is good enough. I have even heard a tale about adapting kits to put the mustang t5 behind a magnum...is this true? I would greatly appreciate any input because I have scoured the internet and basically only found the Keisler and not much else...

#2 ·
#3 ·
:wave: A 6 speed trans may drop rpm's to low in 6 gear and kill your mpg's more. You can take your engine out of it's power band. But you can change your tire size up one size lg and see a .5 to 1 mpg inpro.And still have a killer 1st gear.You must stay with 3% of oem tire size for that to work..... You don't whant to drop your rpm's more than 200 rpm's... 100 to 150rpm's is the best...IMHO...Remenber oem's match dr/train to work right...to keep the rpm's right...God bless...:usa1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.