Dakota Durango Forum banner

Miraculous heat 1997 DAK

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dextersp1 
#1 ·
Ok so I have had my Dakota for about a month. The heat worked for a couple days then stopped. Fine for me but we have a baby due any day So I started trouble shooting - verified the climate controls by swapping with a known good set, no luck... so spent a few hours scouring the net trying to find where my /';,.### heater resistor is on the 97s to no avail. Then after I pulled shut my door hard last night it just kicked in... WTH??? So now i am leary to even touch the dials and still not sure where that resistor is on the 97 (best info I have found is that the 99 it is right under the dash accessible only by removing the whole dash)

Can anyone please give me a definite on the resister location for the 97 slt? Even better if someone can be definitive on the procedure for its removal

#2 ·
It is the same as a '99 but you can also access it under the cowl.

Remove the grille on the cowl and you'll find it just inside near the RH wiper arm, held with two TINY screws. Remove the screws and you can pull it and the cable out.

But, it may not be the resistor. Depending upon the year, I don't have 1997 schematics, there is a relay for the blower motor - so that the current doesn't pass through the ignition switch. It may be near the glove box.

#3 ·
ok since it is GA and hotter than hell today I took a chance and turned the fan control down.... still working, switched from heat to cool... still going... not sure if it is gremlins or what ??? I guess not much point trying to fix what is working but I dont want to get stuck w out heat when the baby gets here

#5 ·
Then after I pulled shut my door hard last night it just kicked in...
Have you check the fuse to make sure it is fully inserted in to the plug panel?

If slamming the door got it going - something is lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.