Dakota Durango Forum banner

05 dakota 4.7 vibration

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  FaceDeAce 
#1 ·
I have a 05 dakota cc 4.7 4×4 and i need some help with a vibration. It just started out of nowhere, it's my wife's truck so if likes to try and get it figured out. I put new tires on it about 1 year ago, got the tires balanced and the alignment at a local shop that usually does pretty good work. I put front brakes an rotors on it not to long ago but havnt had the time to get to the rear. The vibration is really bad at 40 mile an hour and gets worse when your on the throttle but settles down around 50. I've looked at the rear driveshaft and it doesn't appear to be missing any weights. I figured I'd ask for advice since I'm on a wild goose chase. I do all the work on both my wife's dakota and my dakota. Thank you for any help.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok thanks. I just bought a 2005 Dakota. Have been going through it fixing and refreshing stuff. I notice when bombing down the highway it runs nice and smooth. Hit a bump or a tar dip and then the thing starts to shake and continues to shudder along, getting worse. It is intermittent. Sometimes it does it, other times it does not. Looking for ideas. I have a few thoughts, however am gathering some other users info before really tying into anything. The previous owner did replace the main axle u-joints. They look fresh, look new.

#8 · (Edited)
I did a VIN check on this rig. The only open recall is for a passenger airbag replacement. Thanks for the tip, I will research a bit more now targeting the axle recall keywords.

In the meantime, like tomorrow evening, the ride is getting a full new set of shocks. Rancho RS5000 all the way around. The rear shocks are really bouncy and spongy. I am thinking/hoping that the Rancho's will grab control of any road induced resonant bounce/vibe going on back there and eliminate the problem.

Update:
Balanced the tires
Replaced the rear shocks
.... vibration is gone. [emoji106]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.