Taurus fan question - Dakota Durango Forum
4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
J04dakota

Vehicle: 2004 dakota qc 4×4 4.7 v8
Modifications: Custom exhaust, magnaflow mufller/Y pipe, home brew cai, h/o cams/ intake and clutch fan delete
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Taurus fan question

Excuse my ignorance about wiring but I'm not good when it comes to relays. I have been searching for months and can't figure out how to wire this thing. I found one schematic on how I want to do it but it doesn't have the pins in the diagram and I'm all confused. I want low speed to come on with my adjustable controller and high speed hooked up to a 70 amp relay with the factory fan wired so it'll come on when the ac is turned on and when temp hits 210. Can anybody help me please. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
J04dakota

Modifications: Custom exhaust, magnaflow mufller/Y pipe, home brew cai, h/o cams/ intake and clutch fan delete

This diagram. Can anybody help me, please. I'm getting ready to make a long trip and is like to get everything hooked up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan_1497658409744.JPG (32.7 KB, 10 views)
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 05:50 PM
RalphP

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

For a Bosch relay, and others of similiar power rating ..

The coil is on pins 85 and 86. It's not particular usually which way is which, but if it includes a diode for EMF protection, it'll have one labeled + or POS or 12V, and one labeled - or NEG or GND; wire that up that way.

NO or Normally Open is pin 87; NC or Normally Closed is Pin 87a, and COM is pin 30.

That diagram does kill the low speed fan winding on high speed application, and I applaud that. I'm not sure how it manages to spin the fan up on low first; be sure to use higher current relays (70A or so is my recommendation) because the Taurus and MN12 fans can surge up a bit on start up (that's why the Mark VIII fans are HIGHLY recommended to be pulse width modulated; they can surge over 70A on spin up if you don't manage it!)

Here's a diagram for the Bosch style relay showing the inside wiring to the pins:

RwP

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
J04dakota

Thank you ralphp. I think you helped me wire up the stock fan to a contoller on another thread awhile ago, which worked awesome btw. I actually managed to hook the low speed of the taurus fan up by my lonesome and I gave myself a par on the back, Along with a beer lol You always seem to come to the rescue. That's the exact info I needed and the picture helps a lot. I wish I was better with wiring, I've been beating my head against the wall, yelling at the fan because I couldn't figure it out. I don't do real well when I'm not able to figure something out. So that diagram will work with spdt relays? Because it says in the op that he used dpst.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
J04dakota

I think it's great that the op wired it to shut one speed off when the other is on, I agree with you. I do have a 70a relay for the high speed and a 40 for low. I will also be hooking diodes up to prevent and spikes going back through the electrical system when the fan is off. Sorry I'm on my phone or I would have edited the last post.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 PM
RalphP

*dry* He shows SPDT relays; DPST can be faked by wiring two SPST relays.

BIG hint: NO and NC show two throws on one pole.

RwP

post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
J04dakota

Hmm. Interesting, I didn't know that it can be faked. That would be wiring in parallel right? What does *dry* mean? Out of curiosity. So with using a double throw I just wire everything as shown on the diagram?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM
RalphP

The *dry* is that I'm using a dry tone of voice.

Yep, with a standard Bosch SPDT relay, you would wire it as the diagram.

RwP

post #9 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
J04dakota

Oh I see. Thank you for your help. You make wiring seem really easy and make it so even people like me can say, "I get it now". I'm glad you understand wiring because I always get confused when people say nc, no, and coil but now that you pointed out what it means I see how the diagram is laid out.
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
J04dakota

I'm going to pick your brain again ralphp because I have another question, sorry bud lol do I have to put diodes on both power leads on the fan itself or just on the coils?
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 03:51 AM
RalphP

Just the coils.

Also ... diodes are marked positive and negative; typically a band or by being pointed on one end.

THAT end should go to the 12V side of the coil.

It's there so that, when the coil is disconnected from 12V, the spike created gets dumped back into the coil, and not your electronics.

RwP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: