Truck wont start/Fuel Pumo Relay Hot ? - Dakota Durango Forum
General Automotive Discussion Miscellaneous chatter about Dodge Trucks

post #1 of 2 Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Dodge00Rango

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7L
Modifications: Aftermarket Head and Tail Lights, Overhead Off-Road Lights, Bull bar...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Truck wont start/Fuel Pumo Relay Hot ?

Hey guys, my 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7l has been acting up....again lol. So for the past couple weeks my idle has been terrible and the truck dies at random quite often. When starting in the morning I have to rev for a bit or else she will die on me. When the truck dies while driving the fuel pump relay is burning hot. Like too hot to touch. Swapping relays with say the fog light relay may or may not get her started again(depends on how the truck feels). Also when I swap the hot relay with the fog relay, the fog lights will come one meaning the relay still works. So after some research I decided to drop the tank(not my first time doing so) to check electrical connections to the pump and they seem fine. The pump was a replacement pump I replaced about a year prior. Decided since it was under warranty I would swap it out. Went to Autozone. And got another Delphi pump. Here's where it gets weird. When I hooked the new pump up and went to turn the key, there was no pump hummimg and she didn't start. So that told me the pump was getting no power. I thought the pump was defective so I swapped it out for yet another one. After hooking the 2nd replacement one up, I now hear the humming although it sounds a bit off but the truck still wont start. Its worth mentioning that the fuel pump relay was one of the first replacements I tried. The relay isn't the issue unfortunately. It clicks every time I turn the key as it should. I inspected the relay box but couldn't find any issues. I know at this point that the relay is receiving too many amps because it's hot. However I have no idea how to fix this issue. @ 250k miles everything seems to be going out. But I still need this truck as it is my only source of transportation. Any help on where I should turn to next to get this truck back up and running is greatly appreciated everyone! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-18-2017, 04:40 AM
DakotaJP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
Something is up in the wiring would be my guess...can you trace your power back to the source for the pump?...any bad grounds causing too much resistance?...any frayed wiring, ect.....

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: