Advice needed... - Dakota Durango Forum
General Automotive Discussion Miscellaneous chatter about Dodge Trucks

post #1 of 10 Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
xochil.hedtcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Advice needed...

I have a 91 dodge dakota 5.2 thats having a couple of issues. One is a flickering oil light on the dash and it tends to overheat if i let it sit at idle too long. I was thinking maybe the oil pump is going. Then also my son notice the rear main seal is leaking. I dont know if that is contributing to the issue or if it's the cause. Also im debating having rear main seal changed or just find another motor. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-05-2017, 03:56 AM
RalphP

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

TBH, before I worried about the rear seal, I'd replace the sending unit - if it's failing due to age, it could be leaking and it'll look a LOT like a rear main seal blown.

After that, if it doesn't fix the flickering light (BTW, how is the oil pressure sitting? If above the bar above the "L" it's got enough pressure,according to that - and it's the same unit with a split sender inside!) then I'd look at a new rear seal and oil pump.

I'd also consider a new motor; one thing to CONSIDER (!!) is to pick up a Magnum 5.2, freshen it, put LA-drilled heads on it, and bolt on your LA intake and throttle body, with the LA exhaust manifolds; that should yield a nice kick over a straight LA 5.2 (but not as much as if you actually did a Magnum transplant).

RwP

post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
xochil.hedtcke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
TBH, before I worried about the rear seal, I'd replace the sending unit - if it's failing due to age, it could be leaking and it'll look a LOT like a rear main seal blown.

After that, if it doesn't fix the flickering light (BTW, how is the oil pressure sitting? If above the bar above the "L" it's got enough pressure,according to that - and it's the same unit with a split sender inside!) then I'd look at a new rear seal and oil pump.

I'd also consider a new motor; one thing to CONSIDER (!!) is to pick up a Magnum 5.2, freshen it, put LA-drilled heads on it, and bolt on your LA intake and throttle body, with the LA exhaust manifolds; that should yield a nice kick over a straight LA 5.2 (but not as much as if you actually did a Magnum transplant).

RwP
Im new to all this. So please excuse my questions. Did you mean the fuel sending unit? Or is there one for oil? Thanks in advance.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 PM
RalphP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochil.hedtcke View Post
Im new to all this. So please excuse my questions. Did you mean the fuel sending unit? Or is there one for oil? Thanks in advance.

Well, the gauge and the light don't get their signals by magic ... Yes, there's a sending unit on the back of the block, right above the bell housing.

Before you tackle any of this, locate a copy of the factory service manual (such as on Ebay for a used one, or a PDF).

The sending unit is hard to see, being down on the block, right in front of the bell housing, behind the intake. But there's one there.

Do you also have a gauge, or just the idiot light?

RwP

post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
xochil.hedtcke

Theres a gauge and a light on dash

post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2017, 11:04 PM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I agree with Ralph's assessment that the sending unit is old and could be leaking…. But I'd add this, before you assume the engine is in need of replacement, have the oil analyzed and do a compression test. This will determine if your engine is due for a rebuild or replacement.

Next, never trust a factory gauge, especially one which doesn't have accurate numerical markings. Gauges that aren't calibrated and don not tell you anything other than "Normal" or aren't calibrated (like a factory gauge) are as useless as an idiot light. I would suggest you get a good quality oil pressure gauge (and a good quality temp gauge) This way you have the most accurate information about your engine as possible.

Ed
post #7 of 10 Old 06-08-2017, 03:17 AM
RalphP

There's one more choice, but with the leakage at the back, I'd do the sending unit FIRST.

My connector is failing; my gauge will drop to "L" when the "LOW OIL" light is still off; and the LOW OIL light does light until I start the motor, so it's a safe bet it's not actually THAT low. And I can bump the connector and it comes and goes. And it's my third sending unit inside of two months ... so.

RwP

post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
xochil.hedtcke

Hmmmm ok i will check that because the guage is just all over the place. It will stay above the L while im driving...but at an idle it drops way below it and the light starts to flicker.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2017, 11:17 AM
RalphP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochil.hedtcke View Post
Hmmmm ok i will check that because the guage is just all over the place. It will stay above the L while im driving...but at an idle it drops way below it and the light starts to flicker.

With the light also flickering, I'd more be inclined that you've got oil system problems; using 0W5 oil, worn bearings, bad oil pump, etc.

Time to not even worry about the sensor, and put a mechanical gauge in that spot instead long enough to find out what your oil pressure really IS.

And while doing this, save up for a motor replacement/overhaul.

RwP

post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
xochil.hedtcke

Yup just decided on that

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: