coolant leaking from overflow - Page 6 - Dakota Durango Forum
4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

post #76 of 82 Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Nosnibor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, what a thread...well here I am. I have been having an issue with my 2001 4.7l Durango (I hope this is the right place). Now mine may be a simple solution. I am getting overheating, the bubbling and steam. However I have confirmed my electric fan is dead. I believe the clutch fan is in working order. Quick question before I go further. Would replacing the electric fan solve this issue? With it being cold outside I haven't had too many issues with it getting warm but a few months ago sitting in traffic the temperature was shooting up. Would the e-fan make that much of a difference? The main reason I am asking that is because if y'all believe it could be more I may stop toying with this thing. I just recently replaced 3 air sensors on it and there are some other non-mechanical things that need to be fixed. Thank you for any response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 PM
RalphP

Vehicle: 1988 Dodge Dakota SE
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

The electric fan will kick in under several circumstances, one being that the coolant is getting warm enough to justify it.

So, yes, I'd swap that fan out soonest.

And if that doesn't fix it, then I'd start looking at other choices.

(Logic: Fix what's obviously broken FIRST, then worry about the OTHER possible causes.)

RwP

post #78 of 82 Old 01-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Nosnibor

Thanks for the reply. I originally had replaced the thermostat. My father who is slightly more mechanically inclined suggested that. I did see an improvement such as the temp gauge stayed lower under normal circumstances but then it started overheating again. We drained all the fluid out and attempted to flush but we couldn't figure out how to get the pressure through so we added more fluid which I guess needs a burping now? I will also check the cap and for sure get that fan replaced. I'm assuming OEM is alright?

post #79 of 82 Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
ebxgsxr

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
I have to conclude that the culprit is in the only changed variables. Either you have the wrong temp thermostat, or your aftermarket fan isn't efficient enough. (Especially during the warm months) Ed
only thing is in my situation......i swapped to an OEM Mopar thermostat. the fan cools everything fine when the coolant is topped off to the correct level. if i top off the coolant prior to the drive home from work, and then get stuck in traffic, i can see the temp climb. but then i hear the fan turn on, and the temp gauge goes back down. the problem is when the coolant gets pushed out of the overflow. when the level gets low that's when things don't cool down.

and then to add another oddity to the mix, since i have been parking with the nose up on an incline, i do not notice the coolant coming out....maybe a few drips, but not pouring out like it has.

2004 Dakota quad cab
1999 Wrangler
post #80 of 82 Old 01-19-2017, 07:05 PM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Another thought.
A few years ago, I was losing coolant and couldn't track it down. I would sometimes see a wet spot or evidence of a wet stain around the end of the upper rad hose where it attached to the radiator. I was certain that there was coolant leaking out of the end of the hose and tightened the clamp as much as I dared. Still kept losing coolant. Not much, but noticeable over time. On a whim, after a drive, I opened up the hood and wiggled the upper hose and coolant bubbled out of the plastic radiator tank, near the hose….. I mean right thru the plastic! Well upon really close inspection, there was a very small crack in the tank and it was so small that I wasn't able to see it. Wiggling the hose opened the crack, it was so small that water sweated out of the crack and rapidly evaporated leaving the stain. It was so small a crack that it might not have shown with a pressure test…at least in a few minutes

I know you said you replaced the radiator, but make sure it is absolutely sealed. You could try adding some dye to the system, then see if you can find a possible leak by using a florescent light to spot any dye outside the system.

Ed
post #81 of 82 Old 02-05-2017, 06:03 AM
sailorlen10

When coolant bubbles up in the overflow tank it is usually a head gasket leak allowing pressure to escape from the exhaust side of the motor into the cooling system. Must be the start of a small leak. You can try some sealer, but it probably wont work as the pressure is blowing it out, but it's worth a jar of bar leaks. A leak in the intake side of a head gasket will suck the anti freeze into the motor. So Sorry
post #82 of 82 Old 04-02-2017, 04:45 AM
aparkey117

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Quad Cab 4X2

Mine was head gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: