Dakota Durango Forum banner

Are all camshaft tone wheels the same?

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dabroad 
#1 ·
Not trying to start another long thread about crankshaft tone wheels/16T/32T/HO/non-HO...

I just need to know about the camshaft tone wheel; are they all the same throughout the years?
Is the gear attached also the same for all of them?

I got a set of HO cams but without the ring and need to know if any old tone wheel will work.

#3 ·
That is what I did with the HO that I put in there already, I picked up another HO set to play with and that is when I thought about the cam wheel- thinking that there may be different models. I'm thinking they're all the same but not certain.

#4 ·
There are two different timing sets for these motors one for the 16 tooth and one for the 32 tooth if I am not mistaken. However I am a little confused. If you are only swapping the cams you will use what ever cam gears are currently in the motor. You don't need to change the gears to run the HO cams.

The tone wheel is also on the crankshaft not the camshaft. The only time you would worry about this is if you are swapping out the hole motor or doing a rebuild and replacing the whole timing set.

JTEC motors have a 3 plug PCM with a separate TCM and are 16 tooth.

#5 ·
It may not be called a tone wheel but I'm referring to the window wheel that is on the passenger side camshaft. I was just curious if there were any different ones used throughout the years.
But you are correct, I have the 16 tooth crankshaft tone wheel with the JTEC pcm.

#6 ·
It's called the target wheel.. For all intents and purposes it is a tone ring, but the pickup tracks the 'windows' rather than teeth. But yes, there are two different ones, one for NGC and one for JTEC. Difference is in the window pattern.

#7 ·
Thanks Taz, I wasn't sure if the pattern changed or not. I was more or less just curious but now I know if I need one that it also has to come from a JTEC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.