Dakota Durango Forum banner

Heater core flush

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Misfit 
#1 ·
Need to know HOW TO......... Anyone got a write up on how to do this? THANKS!

#2 ·
there are several. but just take the upper and lower heater hose off and flush with a hose, back and forth till it runs clear

#4 ·
might as well while it's out. your going to be opening the system anyways, i would just flush the whole thing.
get some of that "coolent flush" stuff they make and use that to loosen everything, then use your hose to just flush water through every hole.
if you have a 2wd and you hop underneath, you will see 2 1/2" bolts in the side of the block, kind of close to the bottom. you can pull those and flush there, that is the bottom of the water jacket.
just make sure after your done you get ALL the air out of the system and you still have a 50-50 mix after it's been run.

the way i fill it is i remove the temp switch, start filling till i get coolant there then i have the upper rad hose off, and i wait till i get coolant there. that keeps your system from having any HUGE air pockets

#5 ·
What i do is this.

Remove lower radiator hose- this will drain radiator and some of whats in the engine.

Then, with the lower hose still off, crank the engine, let it run a minute or so, this should push the remaining coolant out of the engine.

Then, Disconnect the heater hoses, and what i do is get a garden hose, and put it up to the heater hose, and flush it that way, keep doing that until what comes out is clear.

Then, hook all your hoses back up, top off the system, crank the engine and fill as needed, and then burp the system and you're done.

#6 ·
a nice trick to burp it is find a soda bottle that fits tight where the cap goes and just cut the bottom off it and fill it about a third of the way. that when you get air, you can see it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.