Dakota Durango Forum banner

Best way to drain gas tank

25K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  radioactive 
#1 ·
As the title says. I need to drain some gas out of my durango.Took longer to put back together after accident than I wanted -winter sucks.Now it has been sitting with 3/4 tank of gas for 16 months.Other long story is that my son was helping me and we had a falling out.Turns out he did not put stabil in it like he said he did. I got a siphon from the autoparts store but a friend of his tried to do that last fall and could not get it to thread down into the tank. Is there some trick to this? I think by now the gas would be really bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Remove the fuel inlet hose from tank and feed in your siphon hose there. If you had help you could remove the bed bolts and slide the bed back. Or you could jump the fuel pump relay and disconect the fuel supply line and lengthen it to reach a container to hold the bad fuel. GOOD LUCK!

#4 ·
Is this a common problem in our vehicles?That is, not being able to siphon gas tank from the filler door tube? Byproduct of the earlier gas age when there was an embargo and we all stood in line on our assigned days? Or fuel line not straight enough. Just wondering. Anyone else tried to drain gas from the door tube. would be easier for me. Sorry I am not that car savvy yet.Other than oil changes. But I am learning. Have put the bumpers. lights,radiator,fan shroud,horns and all back together by myself. And by the way, I am a 50 y/o female so please do not flame me yet. All help appreciated.

#5 ·
There is what is called a "ROLLOVER VALVE" in the inlet hose. It is there to keep the tank from draining in the case of a rollover. All cars have these now.
And I did read this is a Durango you are working on but I have always had Dakotas and now have a Durango! It was a brainfart on my part! :sorry:

#6 ·
I found the best way to drain my tank is just drive. LOL But on how do do it anyother way I dunno how.

Reactions: donram360
#10 ·
For what it’s worth, my 360 powered 2000 durango sat with the same tank of gas in it for three years in my garage. No sta-bil.

When I finished fixing it up to take over as a daily driver... it fired right up with less than two seconds of cranking and happily burned that entire tank of ancient fuel.

#12 ·
One way is to hard-wire the fuel pump to a battery, and let the pump pump all the contents out thru the fuel line into a container. Obviously you need to disconnect the fuel line from the rail and run a rubber hose to a container.

Why would someone pour oil in your tank -- and how much do you think is in there? If there isn't much, you could just burn it and keep diluting the oil with fresh gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.