Electric Window issue 2002 Durango - Dakota Durango Forum
Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Scott S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Electric Window issue 2002 Durango

ok, this might take a little explaining.
I bought a 2002 Durango which has sat for a couple years. I finally got it going and now find that all the windows work from the driver door, but not from any of the individual doors.
I've fidgeted with the lockout switch but still nothing.
now, to add mystery and head off certain assumptions, I'd like to add that I actually bought Two Durangos. my next step was to swap out the window and door lock panel in the door from the other Durango, no difference. I know you'll be tempted to say, but they both may be bad, but all of the windows work in the other Durango.

1 if it were the lockout, changing in the unit from the other Durango should have corrected the issue.
2 it's just too big a coincidence that all of the windows work from the driver door, and all of them do not work from their own door switch. (I even switched out one of the other door switches from the other DUrango to see if that made a difference, it did not)

so, does anyone know of anything that I might look into next? is there a common issue I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Dodgeballs

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Swap out the front passenger door switch.

2003 Dakota SLT
Quad Cab 4.7L Auto 2WD
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeballs View Post
Swap out the front passenger door switch.
I thought I mentioned I did.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 AM
Dodgeballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
my next step was to swap out the window and door lock panel in the door from the other Durango, no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
I thought I mentioned I did.
I read that as singular, so I assumed you just did the main panel in the driver's door. I'm now having the problem on my Dakota and my research mentioned replacing the pass side as the fix. I haven't tried yet, but will do so this weekend.

2003 Dakota SLT
Quad Cab 4.7L Auto 2WD
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Scott S

Quote:
I read that as singular, so I assumed you just did the main panel in the driver's door. I'm now having the problem on my Dakota and my research mentioned replacing the pass side as the fix. I haven't tried yet, but will do so this weekend.
yeah, I probably didn't write it clearly, I swapped the driver door, nothing, then I swapped the passenger door, still nothing. not only that, but none of the others work, to be the door switches, they'd all have to be bad at the same time, which sounds near impossible. I was thinking something like a relay, or something.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Dodgeballs

Here is the fix....

1. Remove the switch panel in the drivers door. Use two screwdrivers and pry up at the REAR end of the switch panel. Do not pry at the front end, else you will break two solid plastic tabs that lock it down. (The rear has two spring clips. Lubricate these clips with grease before reassembling.) Remove the two plugs which connect the wiring.

2. Remove switch assembly from plastic cover. All you need to pull are three Phillips screws.

3. Get a firm grip on the lockout button and pull upwards to remove the black button cover. It is attached to a spring loaded white plastic stalk.

Here comes the actual fix....

4. Get some electrical contact cleaner and spray that white stalk, while working it up and down with your finger. This cleans the contacts inside, which get dirty and cause the lockout switch to stop functioning. Be generous with the spray, let it fill up and work down.

Please do not be cheap and use brake cleaner. Get the stuff that cleans and lubricates. I had some on the shelf from Radio Shack. Can was like 20 years old. LOL

5. Clean it up and reconnect the plugs to test passenger switches. Mine was instantly back to working. Reassemble all.

Note: I believe they mostly fail due to buildup on the contacts. However, if your problem is a burned out switch or wiring, you will need to open and resolder or do the bypass in a few of the threads on this forum. Of course, you can also just replace the whole thing. Otherwise, it's a pleasure to not have to open it, which is a pita.

One last thing... 2001-2009 Ram uses the same switch assembly as our vehicles, if you're searching for replacements.

2003 Dakota SLT
Quad Cab 4.7L Auto 2WD
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Scott S

Quote:
Here is the fix....

1. Remove the switch panel in the drivers door. Use two screwdrivers and pry up at the REAR end of the switch panel. Do not pry at the front end, else you will break two solid plastic tabs that lock it down. (The rear has two spring clips. Lubricate these clips with grease before reassembling.) Remove the two plugs which connect the wiring.

2. Remove switch assembly from plastic cover. All you need to pull are three Phillips screws.

3. Get a firm grip on the lockout button and pull upwards to remove the black button cover. It is attached to a spring loaded white plastic stalk.

Here comes the actual fix....

4. Get some electrical contact cleaner and spray that white stalk, while working it up and down with your finger. This cleans the contacts inside, which get dirty and cause the lockout switch to stop functioning. Be generous with the spray, let it fill up and work down.

Please do not be cheap and use brake cleaner. Get the stuff that cleans and lubricates. I had some on the shelf from Radio Shack. Can was like 20 years old. LOL

5. Clean it up and reconnect the plugs to test passenger switches. Mine was instantly back to working. Reassemble all.

Note: I believe they mostly fail due to buildup on the contacts. However, if your problem is a burned out switch or wiring, you will need to open and resolder or do the bypass in a few of the threads on this forum. Of course, you can also just replace the whole thing. Otherwise, it's a pleasure to not have to open it, which is a pita.

One last thing... 2001-2009 Ram uses the same switch assembly as our vehicles, if you're searching for replacements.
thought I mentioned in the original post that I took a working switch assembly out of another Durango...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: