Dakota Durango Forum banner

Tips to remove power steering pump

64K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  hskrRT 
#1 ·
well gotta replace it and tomorrow i am gonna knock it out since gonna be almost 70 which is odd around here. So any tips or things i should look out for cause it looks like i gotta pull more then power steering pump off to get to it. Thank god tho cause right now parking and slow turns are a bitch and it whines like a mother fudger and i have to rev it above 2 grand for pump to work and it whines like a bitch. I dont get why core charges are so outrageous either, place i looked at 55 dollar core so ima take it off then go get new part.

#5 ·
have you tried lucas oil stop leak and conditioner? i had an issue with a hardness in the steering. i drained out the old shit, dropped this stuff in, and let it run for a little while, while turning the wheel back and forth (get the front end off the round first though to get the stress off the steering rack and stuff)...see if it works. 8-12.oo or whatever it is, better than 55.

#8 ·
if you have a harbor freight tools around the pulley remover kit is on sale right now for 9.99 or you can rent one from your local auto-parts store. Just unbolt the support bracket that mounts by by the heads/water pump and unbolt the pressure fitted line and pull of the soft line- then remove the pulley and unbolt the pump from the support bracket- Install new one in reverse- Might take a little over an hour -maybe 2 if you really don't know what your doing. Good luck!

#9 ·
I'm not sure about the 3.9L engine, but the 4.7L PS pulley is plastic. If yours is plastic you might just need to buy and install a new pulley, as the current one is easily subjected to damage when removing it.

And since it is a V6 you'll have much more working room than a V8 will give you. It was worth paying to have it done on my Durango.

#11 ·
franklin mills mall has one i think. check their website for local stores.

hey modain:
its a steel pully.

#13 ·
yeah has steel pulley and found a puller for 20 bucks and just waiting till tomorrow for a pump w/ resivoir to come in to finish it. Sucks tho cause the truck sitting since i took apart and no one had part cause i didnt want to pay core, oh well its good thing have others to drive.

#14 ·
check on your steerig rack while your in there. I went through 2 pumps in a month because of a bad rack.

good thing is i can swap a ps pump in and out in 30 mins.

#23 ·
3.9/4.7 - completely different. Make sure the pulley is on all the way! Last time mine was changed at a shop in my old Dakota way back he didn't put it on all the way and the belt came off, got stuck in the fan and burned out the clutch on the fan, and the pump didn't seal right either and all the fluid came out and burned up the pump again. So I had to buy a new fan clutch, AND a new pump and he wouldn't go good for any of it. So I did it all myself. That's when I started working on my own shit.

#24 ·
I know this is an old thread, but i think i came to a discovery.

Everyone knows the 4.7 has two shafts, 17mm or 18mm.

But as i discovered i think the 17mm shaft has a plastic pulley and the 18mm shaft has steel pulley. This is why when you a parts store they only have a plastic 17mm pulley. They are the only one that break, steel pulleys don't break easily so they don't keep them even listed.

#25 ·
I lied, I have an 18mm with a steel pulley. I changed the pump and the whining didn't go away, it just changed notes, any suggestions, i'd like to avoid a rack. It almost sounds like the truck has a blower (blower belt whine) if i am turning and accelerating at the same time.

#27 ·
On a scale of 1 being easy and 10 hard. what you rate this task. mine is hemoraging fluid faster then I can get it in there. my mechanic is 30 miles away and I am scared to drive it, not sure if it will seize and break the serpentine pump. I have minor knoweledge on working on vehicles. plugs and wires, oil change and thermostat, pretty much sums it up. My neighbor has offered to help, but he just got home from a major heart attack and I am not wanting to bother him.

#28 ·
I haven't changed mine yet but I wouldn't think it would be too hard big thing is going to be getting the pulley off and if you have a puller then it shouldn't really be that big of a deal. If you can do a thermostat and plugs and wires you should be able to swap out the pumps no problem.

#30 ·
No. You re-use your original

#34 ·
Yes you have to remove the belt to remove power steering pump. And you don't need the tool to take it off the motor, but you do need the tool in order to get the pulley off so you can access the bolts that hold the pump onto the mounting bracket once it's off the motor.

#38 ·
on a 98 Durango 5.2, can i remove power steering pump and pulley together
Why are you wanting to remove the Power steering pump? IIRC, you can remove the pump on the bracket without pulling the pulley, but if you want to remove the pump from bracket the pulley has to come off. You can "rent" the proper tool for removing the pulley from any parts store and return it and not pay anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.